Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked fire box

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A few weeks ago, I had a grease fire in my big green egg (when the fire burned through my catch pan), melting the gasket. I ordered a new one and put it on last week. Last night, I went to start a fire, and I found that my fire box was cracked in several places. There were no cracks in the outside of the BGE. Could this have been caused by intense heat? Has anyone else had this problem? Is it safe to cook in the BGE? (I did.) I thought the fire box could withstand any temperature that the BGE could create.[p]Thanks. VKM

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    VKM, my BGE is approaching it's 3rd birthday - the fire box has been cracked for about 2.5 years and it hasn't impacted the quality of the cook. In fact, one of these days maybe they'll listen and make the fire box in a few pieces - then they won't crack![p]Just my thoughts ~:}
  • PG
    PG Posts: 50
    Gfw,we talked extensively at eggfest with Jim about a multi peice firebox and I think a lot was learned with good things to come...Page

• VKM,[p]As long as the "structural" integrity of the fire box is intact, I personaly wouldn't worry about it. I had a move a couple of years ago, and I cracked the fire ring up top clean in two pieces.[p]Now, I am actualy glad it broke because it helps me take out the firering, when I hook up my indirect setup.[p]If you're real upset about it, Call BGE, and get them to send you a new one. All you pay for is Shipping I believe ala their gaurantee.