Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm cooking a duck for the first time

Options
Dean
Dean Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought a 4 lb marinated packaged duck that I want to grill, and my only experience with duck is that it can be fatty. I'm thinking that if I slow grill it it will have a chance to have much of the fat melt off. Is this an approach anyone would take?

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    dean,[p]Your technique sounds right. I'd love to hear about the results.[p]Smokey
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    dean,
    Cook indirect at low temp: ~250 for about 4-4 1/2 hours. It should be tender, moist, skin crispy and most of the fat rendered out. Don't forget to pierce the skin in many places; that's how the fat gets out.
    Good luck,
    Marvin

• davidm
    davidm Posts: 64
    Options
    dean,[p]I agree with brother Marvin, except I don't think the skin is going to get very crispy at 250 degrees. I'd go with what he says, but kick the temp up to 350 to crisp up the skin in the last half-hour, and consider doing that at 3 1/2 hours, or when your Polder (you do have one, don't you?) or instant-reading thermometer is within about 15 degrees of the temperature at which you want to pull it off the grill.[p]Let us know!![p]David

• Dean
    Dean Posts: 29
    Options
    Marvin,
    thanks for the advice. the duck came out GREAT. I did crank it up the last 1/2 hour and did get some crispiness (though not uniformly, but no matter). the duck has so much fat on it that is bastes the whole time, and is succulent even after this rending process.