Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Picnic Shoulder skin ...on or off?

Sundown
Sundown Posts: 2,980
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Getting ready to put on my two pork shoulders (my first ones)and was wondering if I should take the skin off or leave it on?
Any suggetions? Thanks

Comments

• Timbo
    Timbo Posts: 16
    Sundown,
    I've done just a few, and only with the skin off. You would want to leave the fat layer on and cooki it with that side up.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Sundown,
    I have done both ways. I used to score through the skin in a crosshatch pattern, and rub spices in the slits. Now I remove the skin, but lke Timbo said, leave a layer of fat on. In fact, last night at 10, I put on an 8 pound picnin with that very treatment. It is enjoying its plateau right now.[p]Removing the skin seems to make the final roast look nicer, and you don't have to hassle with it when it comes time to pull. Also, without the skin, you don't have to remove that wonderful section of Mr. Brown.[p]Have fun! I can taste it now. Sure smells good on this crisp morn'.[p]Rauchbier (smoked beers) to you.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Nature Boy,[p]Decided to do them with the skin on just to see what happens. I'm wondering if the skin on will make them that much more moist? I guess I have to remember what been said on the forum hundreds of times...no matter what you do it's hard to mess any thing you cook on the Egg up too badly.
    Looking to remove the little beauties tomorrow about 10am
    Now I have to go finish getting the baked beans together then do the cole slaw later this afternoon thinking of doing Cat's Yankee Slaw ever try it??[p]Stay out of the hot sun[p]Carey