Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help - Dr Chicken Standing Rib Roast

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am looking for Dr Chickens' receipe for Standing Rib Roast. Wife has asked that I do one for Mothers Day.

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    noletrain, see if this is what you are looking for:
    Dr. Chicken's Rib Roast
    Submitted by: Dr. Chicken dspenssp@midusa.net
    A simple but extremely tasty, tender and fantastic Rib Roast
    Ingredients:
    • 4 LB large end or small end standing rib roast
    • 3 TBS Worcestershire sauce
    • 1 TBS Paprika
    • 3 TBS Crushed garlic
    • 2 tsp Adolph's unseasoned/no MSG/no Sodium tenderizer
    • Salt & Pepper to taste
    • 1 TBS Flour
    • 1 cup rock salt (crushed) (ice cream salt or kosher salt can be used as well)
    • 1 TBS water
    • 1 egg white[p]
    Preparation Directions:
    • Place the rib roast in a shallow glass casserole dish and apply the seasonings as listed and in that order. Rub paprika, crushed garlic & unseasoned tenderizer into surface of the roast.
    • Apply salt & pepper to suit your own tastes.
    • Be sure entire surface of the roast is covered with all seasonings.
    • Set roast aside in V rack.
    • In the casserole dish, add the rock salt, flour, egg white & water. Mix until it forms a tacky paste.
    • Place roast back in casserole dish and press the salt/flour mixture on to the roast surface. Continue to do so until the entire roast surface is covered with the salt/flour mix
    • Note: You can use cheese cloth to hold the salt to the surface of the roast, if desired. [p]Cooking Directions:
    • Prepare Egg as normal for an indirect cook.
    • Bring Egg up to 500 to 520 degrees (dome temperature)
    • Place desired type and amount of wood chunks on burning lump
    • Place pizza stone or firebricks in place to deflect heat
    • Over a drip pan with no water, place roast in a roasting rack
    • Close dome and adjust upper and lower vents to insure 500 to 520 degrees cooking temperature
    • Cook roast 15 minutes per pound for medium rare
    • Insert polder into roast last 30 minutes of the cook, protecting cable where it is in the cooking chamber and where it comes through the dome
    • Use 145 internal temp for rare
    • Use 160 internal temp for medium
    • Use 175 to 180 for well done
    • When cooking time is done, remove roast and allow it to sit uncovered for 10 minutes before removing salt[p]Special Instructions:
    • When roast has set for 10 minutes break the shell of salt away from the roast and remove. The salt will be very brittle and may have to be scraped from the meat
    surface. Allow roast to sit another 5 minutes, slice and serve.[p]Au Jus Sauce:
    • In a 10" skillet or other shallow pan place 4 to 6 small chunks of the roast along with 3 to 4 tablespoons of water.
    • Stir & heat over a medium heat until the water becomes dark and viscous from the chunks of the roast.
    • Add 1 to 2 cups of hot water and increase heat under pan.
    • When water just starts to boil, add 2 teaspoons of beef bullion crystals.
    • Stir until crystals are completely dissolved.
    • Remove from heat, strain to remove any chunks of roast used for flavoring and serve.

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Bill:[p]I have found that pulling at 115º to 118º gives a great rare by the time it is cut and served. Much beyond 128º tends to be too dry for me. This is based on rib roasts cooked direct and consisting of about four to five ribs.
    [/b]
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Darryl: the lowest temp I show on any of my charts is 130. 115-118 is pretty rare. Have you measured it right before cutting to see if it had risen any while sitting?

• djm5x9
    Options
    ribroast4.jpg
    <p />Bill:[p]Depending upon how quickly it is served the internal may rise to 120º to 123º or so. If I remember correctly, pictured is about 123º internal just prior to cutting.
    [/b]
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    djm5x9,
    Just tossing this question out there; not sure if it's a stooopid one or not, but your picture raises the following question in my mind: Does temperature, specifically in large cuts of beef such as pictured, always indicate appearance? For example, you say pic was of a rib roast at 123 or so. I did one to 126 and it looked like it was still ready to romp in the pasture! If the temp is achieved by going long and slow versus high and fast would the inner appearance of that slice necessarily be the same if both sliced at 123? Is internal temperature ALWAYS an indicator of how the slices will appear (not their temperature, but simply how 'done' they look? In other words, your 123 internal looks medium rare to me. Will or should every prime rib roast sliced at 123 look the same, regardless of time and method utilized getting to that temp, or do factors such as marbling, aging etc play a role?) Sorry if this question is confusing; maybe I need to hit the cooler to loosen up the brain cells!
    Qfan

• djm5x9
    Options
    ribroast1.jpg
    <p />BBQfan1:[p]My experience is the internal temperature will be consistent. The variable will be how wide the internal area of similar temperature is. This will depend on how hot the cook is and how long you seer all sides. Does that answer your question?
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    djm5x9, Maybe so. If I catch yer drift, you are saying that the temp at the 'heart' of the roast/steak (where our temp probes are focused), will be consistant in appearance if each is sliced at identical temps, but the 'blush' or extent of area of equal or comparable appearance may be affected by the sear/cooking temp/marinades/placement on grate etc...Correct?
    Qfan

• djm5x9
    Options
    BBQfan1:[p]Yes sir, that is what I was trying to say. By the way . . . I did my first couple of rib roasts per the meat charts . . . A very expensive source of meat for chili. To me, rare to medium rare is best for steaks or roasts from this cut.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    djm5x9,
    I just want to say that is a gorgeous picture, you caught the flame going around the steak in a wonderful pose. Now you made me hungry and not a steak in the house. Oh Well.
    New Bob

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    noletrain,
    See the link below. I copied the recipe before it was lost on the forum. I also emailed Dr. Chicken the first time I made and got some addition information that was missing in the original post. It has been added the link below.
    Enjoy, it's relly great.
    B D

[ul][li]Dr. Chickens Prime Rib[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    Wise One,
    Yes, that is the one thanks.

• Unknown
    Options
    noletrain, I appriciate all the responses and as usual, I have learned more then expected. The picture are great. I am going to do a 9 1/4 lb rib roast for my wife, mother-n-law, sister-n-law, daughter (expecting our first grand child) and son-n-law. I am sure it will be great as everything done on my large has been.