Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Waldorf bound

HungryMan
HungryMan Posts: 3,470
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just made my reservations. I'm staying late on sunday to catch some sites. Will need suggestions on what to see on Sunday. Never been to MD.

Comments

• ThrRoff
    ThrRoff Posts: 169
    I haven't registered yet, but I will be there, at my first fest. I am in Gaithersburg, a suburb of Washington, DC. From Waldorg, you could spend a day in DC or head to Annapolis.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Great news, we will see you there! -RP
  • HungryMan
    Looking forward to seeing you also. My wife will be coming also. My daughter has a show and wants no part of it.
  • HungryMan
    I will be looking for ideas, but need to get to sleep for 0530 work time.
    Thanks
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
  • Not to far a way from Waldorf is Fort Washington Md where Fort Washington National Park is located. It was the only permanent Fort built to protect DC. It goes back to before the revolutionary war and was active up to the fifties when it was used as a hospital. It has a lot of gun emplacements and sits on a bluff overlooking the Potomac river. From there you can look down and across the river to see Mount Vernon, the home of George Washington.

DC probably has the most to offer because of the Smithsonian museums from the Air and Space to the Museum of Natural History and the Art museum. You can also tour the Capital and maybe even be able to take teh underground rail from the House building to the Capital again not sure if this is any longer allowed because of security. And there are monuments galore Some of my favorites are the Korean memorial, FDRs and of course the Viet Nam memorial.

Don't waste your time visiting the National aquarium you will be sorely disappointed. If you ant to see a good one go to the one in Baltimore

Annapolis has a very nice waterfront to walk around and of course the Naval Academy is there. They use to give tours not sure if they still do.

Just make sure you war good walking shoes.

Parking is not an issue at the Fort Washington national Park but there is an entry fee. Parking can be an issue in DC, Annapolis and Baltimore. It just depends on the you get there.

Hope this helps
  • al,

shoot me an email when you firm up your plans. .. i'll be happy to give you the mad max tour of dc. .. ask chubby/spring chicken/egret. ... you won't be sorry. ...
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Great! And in a rare turn of events, I just booked a room and sent in my registration form. So I'm all set more than a month in advance. Can't wait for the fest.

Heeeee,
    Cornfed
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Very cool. Will be good to meet you. You need any info on the area, or just wanna pop by the day before and visit, I am from Maryland, and now live on the other side of the beltway in Virginia. Sounds like this is gonna be the best Waldorfest ever. Dale is gonna be doin' the watusi.

Travel safe and seeya soon.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    On his new knees :)

I am still in shock from my wife actually WANTING to go.. Didn't even have to ask her.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Take Mad Max up on his offer. It is by far the best way to see Washington DC. He made our trip to DC a hundred times more interesting than anything we could have done on our own. We didn't feel like tourists. More like Guests...

Wish we could be there but there seems to be a problem with my funds coming from Nigeria, Ireland and Texas Lottery Commission. It's getting to be frustrating waiting for so long a time.

Have fun...

Spring "Filthy Rich But Temporarily Cash Poor" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    All I can say is ENJOY. Wish I was going.
  • HungryMan
    Look forward to meeting the man behind the spices I buy. My wife gave up and cleared and a cabinet for just my egg stuff.
  • HungryMan
    My wife didn't do Atlanta. That was my first. Ocala she was sick. She wants to go this one to see what it's all about and neither of us have been to Md.
  • HungryMan
    I will e mail you later. Wess said make sure to call Max.
    Thanks
    Al
  • HungryMan
    Thank you. I was in DC in 6th grade. Has been a while. I will be saving all the info. From what I was told the Madmax tour is the best in town.
  • Hey Al,
    Check with your Congressman's /Senators offices...tell them you're going and they will send you a packet of Special tours you can reserve ahead of time at certain buildings/exhibits. It doesn't cost anything for reservations....Feels like you're VIP when you get to go ahead of the line.
    Last year, Randy and I went down to Virginia and toured some wineries. Went to the coast...but it's still off season and nothing was happening.
    Look forward to seeing you and your wife.

Kim
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    They are checking up on us!!!
  • HungryMan
    They figured out we're having fun, and will not have that.
  • HungryMan
    I have to figure out how much time we will have. We booked a later flight for Sunday. I think that will be the time to sight see. I'm pretty much gonna wing it. We are staying at the meet and greet hotel.