Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib to room temp when??

Peter Creasey
Peter Creasey Posts: 253
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How long before cooking should a 4 lb prime rib be removed from the fridge so it comes to room temperature?

Thanks!

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    it won't. not within four hours or so, that is, and that's too long with regard to food safety.

better to go slow at first, say 225 until you are within 25 degrees of your desired 'doneness', and then jack temps to 500 and form the crust on the outside. pulling it off 15 degrees under your desried finish temp, letting it continue to rise in temp while resting.

i mentioned below that even a steak left out for an hour will usually not change much in temp internally even in an hour's time. your meat will never achieve 'room temp' without unless it's left out way too long to be safe.

i'd hot tub a steak, but a roast, i'd just let it be and monitor the internal temp as it cooks. starting lower will allow it to heat gently without creating a giant ring of 'well-done' around the whole roast
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike wrote:better to go slow at first, say 225 until you are within 25 degrees of your desired 'doneness', and then jack temps to 500 and form the crust on the outside. [/quote]

S, Thanks for the reply!

The strategy I prefer is to start of at 500 degrees then leave it at 450 degrees for 30 minutes.

Then continue to grill the prime rib at 325 until done.

There seems to be a difference of opinion on whether to try to bring it to room temperature in advance of grilling. I tend to agree with you that it's better to bring it straight out of the fridge.

I wonder if others have different thoughts!?!
  • stike
    i find that with roasts, one temp for the whole cook means i get the least amount of medium rare. the outside continues to cook while the last little bit in the middle is just getting to 'done'. by going low then hot (or hot, then low), i find you can isolate the crust to one part of the cook, and the relatively mild roast temp (300 or lower) yields the greatest amount of medium rare. that's just me, though.

as for the other 'room temp' issue. remember, very few of those folks recommending 'room temp' ever took the mtime to actually check. you'd think that a steak left out would hit room temp internally in a n hour. it won't. can't happen. especially so with a roast. in fact... with a roast, you'll have an inch deep of meat that is already warm. meaning, it will hit 'well done' sooner than it would if it went on cold. means you'll have even MORE well done around the exterior than just throwing the meat in cold.

again, though, most of the folks advocating "room temp" likely haven't ever checked to see if they actually were at room temp. the outside was, but not the inside.
  • stike wrote: though, most of the folks advocating "room temp" likely haven't ever checked to see if they actually were at room temp. the outside was, but not the inside.[/quote]

S, These folks say the inside of the prime rib is sterile; thus, several hours coming to room temperature is not a problem (except with the food police).
  • 407BGE
    407BGE Posts: 187
    Putting it out on a room temp pan (cast iron works great) helps to radiate the heat but a large hunk of meat is not going to come to room temp in the hour you let it sit out. I have let mine sit out for 2 hours and there was no detectable difference and any longer that that would make me nervous.

I do mine in the oven at 200 until an internal temp of 118 and then fire up the oven to 550 for 10 minutes for a crust. Takes about 1.5 hours per pound.

I just bought my egg so the next cook will be on that but I'll likely keep the same temp.
  • 407BGE
    407BGE Posts: 187
    Putting it out on a room temp pan (cast iron works great) helps to radiate the heat but a large hunk of meat is not going to come to room temp in the hour you let it sit out. I have let mine sit out for 2 hours and there was no detectable difference and any longer that that would make me nervous.

I do mine in the oven at 200 until an internal temp of 118 and then fire up the oven to 550 for 10 minutes for a crust. Takes about 1.5 hours per pound.

I just bought my egg so the next cook will be on that but I'll likely keep the same temp.
  • stike
    the inside is sterile. as long as you trim off the exterior you are fine. i'm being an ass ofcourse, because i wasn't talking about the INSIDE being unsafe. four hours on a counter renders the OUTSIDE unsafe.

i guess what i'm saying is that they BELIEVE it to be room temp inside, but it isn't. no one's leaving it out four hours anyway.

someone posting "i let my roast sit out until it's room temp" is not actually doing that. they are letting it sit out until it warms up a bit on the outside. i guarantee no roast goes in the oven truly "room temp" in the middle. you are chasing a fallacy.

steaks, maybe. roasts... i dunno. i'm thinking you are conflating the two ideas. room temp steak, so room temp must be for roasts, too.
  • stike
    thank the lord... i thought i was going crazy.

thank you. thank you, thank you.
  • stike wrote:
    the inside is sterile. as long as you trim off the exterior you are fine. ... four hours on a counter renders the OUTSIDE unsafe.

S, Okay, we agree the inside is sterile and safe.

Wouldn't the grilling kill any bacteria that might be present on the outside?
  • stike
    sure. just not the toxins they left behind, which is what makes you squat and count bathroom tiles anyway.

salt helps, but my main point is you don't really need to go to 'room temp'. no one ever does. recipes that say "let it get to room temp" invariably say 'for an hour or so'. Those two concepts are mutually exclusive.

let it warm an hour or so if you want. though i still maintain that the double temp method (lo then high, or high then lo) does better what "room temp" is purportedly supposed to achieve anyway.
  • thank the lord... i thought i was going crazy.

thank you. thank you, thank you.

No, my boy, you're not going crazy!

By the way....who were you talking to..??