Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Green Egg and Ham

Options
Matt
Matt Posts: 143
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
All --

I plan to cook a "city ham" for Easter on Sunday. I'd like to cook it in the Egg instead of my oven. I'm sure some of you have done this before, so any pointers? Can I just cook it at (say) 250-275 until it comes up to temperature (~140 or so)? What type of ham should I get? Unsliced, I assume? Will it need to be covered for part of the time? Platesetter, legs up, with a drip pan?

Thanks in advance....

Matt

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I use a platesetter feet up at 300 degrees until the ham reaches 150 internal temp. I use a drip pan with apple cider. I buy Smithfield hams (on sale around ATL for .99 pp) These are the precooked ones. I do peek at the ham about every 45 minutes and have had to put a small piece of foil on the edges.

I also inject mine the night before with most anything sweet & or spicy. It usually takes about 3 hours to get to temp.

You can foil it afterwards for up to 1 hour and it will still be hot when you slice it.

Kim Youngblood
    (aka vidalia1)
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    If only there was someone out there that had done the city ham on their egg. Someone with a spiffy new avatar they want to show off.

I know BENTE is out there somewhere......

He has done the Alton Brown city ham on his egg and swears by it. I am boring. I just take a Smithfield unsliced ham, score the exterior, and smoke it at 275 until 140 internal. Then I keep the bone and bake a great pot of ham and beans.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Smithfield is good ham...no need to apologize for that ;)