Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Now What?

Options
Bigfoot
Bigfoot Posts: 154
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok I have been reading this forum for some time and I am convinced the BGE is the way to go. So, the income tax check is here and now its egg time. I am looking for the best price on a large BGE (Houston, TX) but what else do I need. I plan to be up and running by this weekend. How about accessories? What about a first cook, maybe for 6 - 8 people? I was thinking brisket, but I am open to all suggestions. I need a winner, you know I am facing a lot of skeptics regarding this high priced weird looking clay pot. Thanks

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    BigFoot,[p]If I ordered another BGE today, I would HAVE TO HAVE these items:[p]Look on the main page, the click on Product info, then find the accesories page. There are TWO metal tops. One is called a "daisy wheel" and the other is the daisy wheel, on top of a medal plate, that slides back and forth.[p]Listen to me: GET THE SLIDER TOP. You have MUCH more control IMHO with that.[p]Item #2 MUST HAVE: Look here:[p]http://www.imperialkamado.com/i_access.htm[p]See the item called "Grill Handle"......Order that From BGE. I AM SURE they have it. Webmaster, I am sorry for posting another link, but it is the only site that has a picture of the thing. I KNOW BGE sells them, because my friend bought one. [p]You can't tell from the picture, but these things are SOLID metal, and you could kill someone with it. It's that heavy, and solid.[p]I'd skip the "cover". If you are not going to get a table, the "wheel carriage" base is a MUST also.[p]Cutting it short, cause this post will probably be deleted anyway. Pitty. I'm just trying to help. Congrats on the BGE plunge. [p]One last thing: Don't let your mind play tricks on you, GET THE LARGE. You'll never regret it. [p]
  • nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    BigFoot,
    The accessories you will need right away are the grill lifter, and the ash tool. Depending on what you will cook, you will also need a plate setter, pizza stone, v-rack, extra grate (for indirect raised cooking), chicken and/or turkey sitters, and drip pans (cheap foil ones are best). You may want to also pick up a few fire bricks to use for indirect cooking, or to lift the grate up higher from the fire. Our new egg (purchased a little over a month ago) came with the new spring hinge, metal grate, and the daisy wheel top.[p]I would not suggest cooking brisket for a first cook. They are very difficult to cook, and take a loooong time. I would probably do a few spatchcocked chickens, or a marinated pork loin. [p]Good luck, and happy eggin!

• jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
    BigFoot,
    If you wanna impress the guests do pulled pork, it gives you time to bond with your new toy and its hard to mess up.
    the best accessories are a setup for indirect cooking.
    [/b]
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    BigFoot,
    You cookin' in Houston? You gotta do a brisket - nikkig's right: it takes awhile, but it's definitely worth every minute of it. Get the accessories for indirect and get set to knock the socks off your guests.
    Ken

• ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    Options
    BigFoot,
    Daisy top, tool, temp gauge, meat probe, extra grill with firebricks (splits) and hopefully a digital camera so you can share.

[ul][li]ravnhaus bbq[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    Hi BigFoot,[p]I am from the Dallas - Ft Worth area. Around here the best price for an Egg was at Barbecue Galore (Houston may be similar).
    I bought mine in February when they were having their 15% off sale. I visited three area BBQ Galore stores. Each store said the Egg was not included in the sale. Two stores wouldn't budge on the price. To my suprise, the third store gave me the Egg, all components, charcoal, wood chips, etc at 15% off.
    *Just a heads up that there may be room for price negotiation at some stores.
    Rumor has it that BBQ Galore may be having another sale for Father's Day.
    My Large Egg, locking hinge, daisy wheel, ash tool, grill lifter, Egg cover, thermometer, charcoal, wood chips/chunks, etc was about $500 tax not included (I didn't buy a nest).
    Without the 15% sale....the Large Egg, daisy wheel, thermo, locking hinge should run about $550 at BBQ Galore (tax not included).
    You may find it cheaper, but that's the best price I found in my area.[p]*Also....be carefull when your pricing the Egg.
    I was getting price quotes from the three BBQ Galore stores ranging from around $490 to around $650 for just the basic Egg. The reason: Egg components are generally priced a la carte. Different sales people thought they were giving me the basic Egg price, when they were actually giving me a price for the basic Egg + thermo + daisy wheel + nest + etc.
    Be careful & question if the price seems too high.
    I came real close to buying from the first BBQ Galore I visited (I would've paid $650 for the Egg + additional money for all the necessary components....ouch).[p]tcpool

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    BigFoot,
    I am also from Houston (Spring) and you were wise to ask about prices. I purchased my large about three years ago from Barbeques Galore (FM 1960 store) and never questioned the price of about $600. All I got was the Egg, BGE lump, Webber starter cubes, ash tool, grill lifter and a cook book. I suspect I could have pushed for the daisy cap but having never even seen or heard of ceramic cooking at the time I didn't know what to do. Even so, I think I got a deal. I still buy most of my supplies from them. Nowadays, you can probably get some of the nice new upgrades on yours for about the same price. I think you will be happy at any price. I suggest you consider buying or building a table no matter what size Egg you get. I just makes life much better. [p]Glad to know we have another Egger in Houston. May be time to talk about having our own Eggfest.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Bigfoot
    Bigfoot Posts: 154
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p]What would I need for the indirect cook?[p]