Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with JJ's Rub

Options
Mark
Mark Posts: 295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
JJ your rub sounds very good and quite complex, do you prepackage this concoctoin?

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Mark,[p]My appologies to you and JJ for answering here. If JJ offered the recipe commercially I would be a customer. He has done us one better. The recipe is listed in the BGE recipe section. The longer you simmer it (add water as necessary) the better it gets. Cooling overnight and reheat is ideal.[p]Spin

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Mark,
    Sorry. I do not. Add or subtract any ingredient to make it suite your tastes. That's what recipes are for, to provide a base for a person to formulate it to their liking.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Mark, easy to make and great on almost anything - my only suggestion is tripple everything and you'll have enough to last for a week or two - I use JJ's rub (with a little more red pepper) on about everything that goes on the grill -- except pizza!

• Spin
    Options
    Spin,[p]Oops. Rubs and sauces are two different things! JJ, commercialize and save me some face.[p]Spin

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Spin,
    Yhe sauce is up there in the same breath as his rub though!
    And yeah, needs a long simmer. Good stuff and worth a try.
    Great on briskets.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Spin, who knows..?? I was all set to simmer it next time.
    Chowser,,,C~W
    :-)[p]

• Spin
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]I don't know if I have egg, rub, or sauce on my face:-).[p]Spin

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Spin, with your talents..its easy to overlook a oversight..your doing great..Gotta have a fun break once in a while..ya made our evening!!!

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Spin,
    Left over mint juleps perhaps? hehe

• Spin
    Options
    JJ,[p]That would have been a good excuse :). Spearmint is dead now. I have a bunch of dried leaves. Will they work and how do I make the "super syrup" using them? Thanks.[p]Spin

• Elizabeth
    Options
    Spin and JJ, glad to take a look at the mint julep recipe! Being the Southern gal I am, they're one of my favorites, and I will try JJ's recipe...Alan got his recipe from the Maker's Mark folks...He makes the simple syrup like you do, but then makes a mint stock by soaking fresh leaves in some Makers for 30 minutes, then puts the mint in a piece of cheesecloth and wrings it out, dips in the makers and wrings it out again-a few times...this way he has a mint stock that won't go bad in the fridge if you don't use it all in a week or two..then he pours a quantity of Makers in a pitcher, adds the syrup to sweeten it to taste, and bit by bit adds mint stock to the minty-ness you want (I like mine sweet and minty, he's basically a bourbon with a spring of mint in it guy...)I assume you are using silver julep cups?? It does make a difference, and you can find them for $20 or so....it's the only thing Alan wanted for wedding presents 17 years ago...so he has 12, and we use them all the time..for other than juleps....try his method sometime,and see what you think!!!!!! He say's that Mint Juleps are why Southern ladies smile all the time...........

• Elizabeth
    Options
    Oh, yeah--the reason I posted was to remind you that fresh spearmint can be found year round with the fresh herbs in your grocery store's produce section...and it grows well on a sunny windowsill indoors!!!!! Cheers! Elizabeth

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Elizabeth, [p]My grocery store is absent the spearmint stuff, Can one get seeds and start em indoors and grow like your suggesting? How's Alan adapting to the new BGE scene?
    C~W

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Try your local garden center for mint plants.
    YB

• YB, Okay, thanks..springtime list is started. They are all shut down here for the winter...:-(