Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Big egg owner

flajoker
flajoker Posts: 52
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am now the proud owner of a large egg to go with my mini. What should I cook first? A slow and low or turn it up to burn some steaks. Paid 559.00 + tax with the daisy wheel and the spring loaded hinge and cast iron trivet. Is that an ok price?

Comments

• flajoker,[p]For the lifetime of use you will get out of this thing, a $1000 would be "ok" and I say that with 100% seriousness.[p]First cook, steaks for me. No question.
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    flajoker,
    Sounds like a good price to me. I paid 650 for the large, ash tool, daisy wheel, auto-lock hinge, 20 lb bag of lump and a grilling cook book. Either way, if your like me, you would have paid much more once you get cookin.
    As for a what to cook, I would go with the slow and low butt or the one I'm about to post....

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    gamecock_4_life,
    Yep, you just can't beat BLOOD!! A steak is hard to beat, from another relatively new EGGer. Just finished eating turkey breast that the husband cooked on the Egg today and it was, without a doubt, the best turkey breast meat that I have ever eaten.....and I ain't no young chicken. We're doing a Boston butt tonight although I don't know if the husband can sleep well and not hop up and down checking on it.

• Hi flajoker,[p]Your price seems pretty good.[p]The lowest price in my area is $550 + tax for the Large Egg, locking hinge, daisy wheel & thermometer.
    Some specialty stores in my area have it priced closer to $700.[p]I first thought $550 was way too much to pay for that "funny looking green golf ball-egg thing".
    Since I've used it; however, I have come to realize that it's definitely worth the price for me.[p]* Someone responded to an earlier post that a new Egg may want to cook something at a moderate temperature first. This may avoid gasket problems that could occur if you fire up your first cook at 700 degrees (the original post was that their gasket came off when their first cook was steaks at high temp).
    I don't know if it's true, but I thought I'd pass it along.[p]Personnaly....The first thing I cooked were some nice big ribeye steaks at about 700 degrees....I had no gasket problems at all....and the steaks were great :)