Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Membrane Pictures

Options
buffy
buffy Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can someone post a picture of what back ribs should look like with the membrane removed. I think the butcher already does mine, but I don't know.

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    buffy, I doubt if he does (unless he is making a play for you and is being extra nice) because it does take some extra time and usually leaves the meat looking scraggly in a spot or two. However, some membranes sometimes are hard to get to pull. A couple of weeks back I bought two slabs of ribs. The first memebrane pulled off nice and cleanly. The second seemed to break everytime I tried to grab it. I finally just scored the membrane between each rib and left it on. Both tasted good and I could not tell the difference. Maybe, just maybe, the second one already had the membrane removed for some reason. Don't know.
    You might want to ask the meat cutter at the store if he would mind showing you how to remove the membrane. He will either tell you that the membrane has already been removed or that he has no idea what you are talking about or will show you how to remove it. In any case you learn something about the meat cutter and possibly about the ribs you buy.

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    membran2.jpg
    <p />buffy,
    Here is a picture from TimM site.He makes it look easy.
    Larry

• Unknown
    Options
    buffy, once you have started the membrane pullling loose, use a paper towel to grab it with, it is not near as sllippery and comes off much better the better grip you get.

• sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Options
    buffy,[p]It's too bad I didn't see this until now. I just pulled the membrane off two racks of baby backs, so getting you a before and after picture would have been easy...two hours ago.[p]FYI, the membrane should be one the concave side of the ribs, not the convex (or the inner curving side. This side also has the bone, very close to the surface, if not exposed, compared to the other side. If you can use a butter knife to cut to the bone from that side, the membrane is not there. It takes a pretty sharp knife to cut through the membrane, but a dull knife can get through meat and fat.[p]Good luck![p]--sdb
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    xxribsander.jpg
    <p />YB,[p]Here is a tough one - had to get out the Tim Allen power tools. [p]Tim
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Tim M,
    I remember that one..Thats cute..Hope you and Jan can come by and visit with us for a while.
    Larry

• Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    Options
    buffy,
    Okay, I've just got to jump in here and ask, what is the big deal about the membrane on pork ribs? I am not a youngster and have cooked thousands of ribs in my lifetime, and other than the sauce or rub used being different, we just plunk them on the grill and cook them until they are "done". Sure, maybe there is a little bit of papery stuff on the backside but it is sort of like the crust in the bottom of an Asian rice cooker.....it is pretty good to eat! I think that the membrane probably acts as a sealer for the ribs and keeps them together so that nothing hangs down into the grill. Just my 2-cents worth.......just don't worry about the membrane....it ain't gonna hurt anything to leave it on. In the time it takes to remove it, one could imbibe something really nice.