Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Friday Night Lenten Special

Options
Warthog
Warthog Posts: 84
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All,
Just wanted to share a cook I did friday night. With it being Lent and not being able to eat meat on Fridays, I decided to forego the whole pizza night thing, and picked up a nice piece of Ahi Tuna at Costco on Friday after watching Alton about a week earlier. He seared his on the chimney starter with a grate on top of it. I used the whole egg. Started with the veggies in the stir fry pan (red and yellow peppers, onions, carrots and a tomato.

Then the fish, seasoned with olive oil, salt, pepper, and rolled the edges in sesame seeds

DSC00033.jpg

Grilled at 450 deg. direct about 2 minutes per edge, and worked my way around the fish. Then about 2 minutes per side.

Rested for 5 minutes and served up everything

Here is the full dinner.
DSC00034.jpg

Here is the inside of the meat. This was sushi grade tuna.
DSC00036.jpg

All in all, it was a very good dinner and, as much as I like pizza, it was a nice change from the usual.

Warthog

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Looks great! I love doing Tuna on the Egg, but I'm the only one who eats it! It's such an easy cook, it is worth it to do just for myself.

What I do is very similar to what you did except I put the EVOO, pepper and sesame seeds on the top and bottom. Sear the whole thing 1 minute per side and I'm done!

How much does the Sushi grade Tuna run you? I had a sensei at a sushi place tell me where I could get it but that I shouldn't be paying $18.00/lb for something I'm going to grill.

All I know is you can really taste the difference when you buy the good stuff! Meat or fish!
  • Warthog
    Options
    FB Bob,
    I may have mis-spoke! I originally looked at Oujamya (Asian food store in Seattle). They had "Sushi Grade" for about $17.00/pound on sale. I had them cut a length off the tail end and a 1.3 pound chunk was $25.00. I returned it and went to Costco. They had what looked to me like better/fresher fish in their case. I picked up one package with a piece that was almost three inches thick, and just under a pound for $9.00. I would have to agree with your Sensei. If I was going to make sushi, I would pay top dollar, but for the egg, you can get a fresh, high quality cut for a fraction of that. It was very moist, and tender with no hint of a fishy smell or taste. I just wished that I had some wasabi!
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    looks great and now i am sorry i passed on the sashmi grade tuna at wegmans. i put black sesame on one edge and white on the other. looks cool . then mix wasabi and mayo and put it in a pastry bag or baggie and pipe a decorative ribbon pattern on the tuna , the plate or both. makes a good presentation.
    bill
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Very Nice - One of my favorites.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm sinning eaing fish on Friday - no sacrifice here. Last Friday we had boiled crawfish. :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I did some Salmon filet last Friday and it was great.
    Now that you have me thinking about it, I think I'll sear a Tuna this Friday!
    I'll cook a haddock in the oven for everyone else.
  • Warthog
    Options
    I was thinking the exact same thing! I think a real sacrifice would have been to cook it on the stove or in the oven. I wonder if anybody ever gave up Egg'n for lent?
    Warthog
  • Warthog
    Options
    That does sound good. I will have to try that one this week. I ended up mixing soy and honey for the dipping sauce. It ended up tasting like Terriaki. Not bad, but I wish I would have had some wasabi for it.

Thanks for the tips!

Warthog
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    try some ponzu next time you grill fish . sent the son to costco but no tuna tonight . bummer

ponzu001.jpg

ponzu003.jpg