Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer Can Chicken

Options
Chick with Egg
Chick with Egg Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the deal with beer can chicken and what is the best way to do it? Will the chicken taste like beer? Thanks.

Comments

• JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    All it consist of is a special rack that you can snag at Wal Mart or Home Depot that you stick a open beer in and the bird slides down over the can. IMO all the can does is moisten the bird. Makes no differance if its beer, coke or juice. I shove a lime 1/2 in the neck to hold in more moisture and rub the bird down with my home brew rub. Cook indirect at 300 to breast temp of 165.
    09-08-07031.jpg
  • ThrRoff
    ThrRoff Posts: 169
    Options
    The chicken dosen't taste at all like beer. Basically the method is a way of adding moisture to a chicken while it cooks. There are many ways to cook a "beer can chicken." There are commerical holders available, and many recipes. I would search for a couple and give it a try. The Egg does them well.

3beerchik.jpg
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I somehow ran out of canned beer the day I cooked these, but it just adds moisture and not a lot of flavor.

DSC00246.jpg
  • JimboBQ
    JimboBQ Posts: 197
    Options
    Here's one of my "beer can" chickens done on the small with Chubby's Grate Mates. Instead of a can, I got this ceramic Gizmo that I mount the chicken on. It never tips over like a can might. I can pour the beer in the aluminum pie plate that I place the chicken and gizmo in. Wish I could remember where I got the ceramic chicken stand from. I know I ordered it on-line.
    Happy egging!

Jimbo

HennessyCknforBGEPost.jpg
    Spartanburg, SC - 1 Large, 1 Small, 1 MiniMax and a Mini. I may have a problem...
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    Options
    I’m with you Jeffersonian, after years of using a beer/coke etc. cans with whatever liquid, I now just put them on a holder like you have and can’t tell the difference. Sometime I do them indirect at 350 and others I do direct on a raised grid at about 325. Either way it takes about 90 minutes for a 5# bird. Generally I do 4 birds at a time and they have always turned out very moist. Popsicle.
    Willis Tx.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Jimbo-
    This is where I got mine:
    http://www.earlymorningpottery.com/

I used to do beercan chickens with just the beercan and the chicken legs steadying it. I had a few difficulties removing a cooked, falling-apart chicken with a half-can of beer stuck to it's butt. so I started thinking about my options. Then one time the hot bird fell apart and the beer dumped into the coals and that was enough for me.

I been using the stoneware vertical roaster ever since. I like cooking 6.5 lb birds at 500 for 60 minutes. Just prep with EVOO and my favorite rub that day. I don't miss the beer, the chicken is still moist. In fact, after a week in the refrigerator the breast meat is still better than any other day-old chicken leftovers I've ever had.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ooops, I forgot the picture!

SloChicken.jpg

This was actually a low and slo chicken I was doing. close to 6 hours at 250.
    Lot of time for something that is every bit as good when only cooked for an hour!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    One more thing- that 60 minutes at 500 is an indirect cook.
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Personal opinion -- The only advantage to doing chicken vertically is that you can get more chickens on the Egg.

Beer, Sprite, water -- doesn't really matter... just something wet..

That said, I have had trouble getting the bird to cook inside and not be baked outside.

I prefer to spatchcock -- but it takes up a lot of room on the grill

~ B
  • OzarkQ
    OzarkQ Posts: 150
    Options
    FWIW - on America's Test Kitchen cooking show on PBS they put a couple bay leaves in the beer and they said it helps the flavor. I don't know for sure, but they seem to be pretty good with their culinary advice.