Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Wings

Options
Ellen aka Gormay
Ellen aka Gormay Posts: 63
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I love turkey wings or any other wings for that matter (my cholesterol level does not! :-). Can anyone who cooks turkey wings give me advice on what temp to use and an approximate amount of cooking time that will be needed. Ideally, the wings would be moist inside and somewhat crisp ouside.[p]Any and all suggestions would be welcome.[p]Ellen

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Ellen aka Gormay,[p]I have only cooked turkey wings a few times (I cut up whole turkeys - it takes a few before I have enough wings for a cook). I have had very good success achieving the result you describe.[p]I cook them directly on the grill using 260-275°F dome temp turning/moving around every 15-20 minutes to provide even cooking. I wipe the grill with peanut oil to minimize sticking and will wait past the first 15-20 minutes for the wings to loosen on their own prior to the first flip. Cooking time (I haven't kept records - will in the future) is around 2 hours. The lower cooking temp provides the time for the heat to cook the meat while the rendering the fat from the skin without burning. I only marinate the wings prior and add nothing during the cook.[p]I do like to use a small amount of lump for the cook, only filling the Egg to just cover the vent openings in the firebox. This setup provides ample fuel for the cook, and maximum spacing between the heat source and the meat. This larger spacing provides a milder hot spot (vs. larger lump supply) that tends to be centered on the grill and makes the cook (for me) easier.[p]Spin
  • Ellen aka Gormay
    Options
    Dear Spin,[p]Thanks so much for the guidance. I have 2 wings defrosting and will cook them this weekend as you suggest. Do you think that the grill extender will serve the same purpose as having a lower lump level? I used my grill extender for spatchcocked chicken and it cooked more evenly without the flareups I had experienced previously.[p]TIA[p]Ellen
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Ellen aka Gormay,[p]I have not used the grill extender for wings, but can not see where it would not work.[p]Spin
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Spin,
    I have and it does provide a more even cook for the wings. Did some TT's Okinowa wings the other night.

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Ellen aka Gormay,
    I bet wings would be good cooked like this.
    Larry

[ul][li]Smoked Turkey Legs[/ul]