Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brine Salmon?

Steve
Steve Posts: 94
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anybody ever brine salmon...any recommended technique? Most salmon available is farm raised and needs a little help, I think. Any suggestions for brine appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Steve
    Steve Posts: 94
    Hey, just saw the smoked trout recipe...thanks!
  • Steve,
    There are methods are dry that work very well,
    there is the product call Mortons Sugar Cure. It comes
    with a hickory flavor pack, throw it away for these purposes.
    Coat the salmon flesh with about 1/4" and place in the frig
    for a couple of hours. After the that period rinse very well and let dry for about an hour.
    Lightly coat with dill weed and brown sugar and smoke to desired dryness.
    Jim

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Jim Minion, I put maple syrup on mine. Trout, too. JCA

• J Appledog,
    Maple syrup or honey both would work well.
    My personel taste doesn't care for quite so sweet but I will do for others in the family that do.
    Jim[p]

• alternity
    alternity Posts: 49
    Steve,
    I have cooked lots of hot smoked salmon.[p]Next time Id like to make it more like lox..I think Ill coat it with dill sugar salt and orange peel zest for a few days in the fridge..then rinse..then build a very small fire and smoke for a few hours at very low temps..then finish it off for hours in a heating compartment of the oven..trying to keep teh temps around 100*.[p]Good luck and let us know how it turns out.[p] alt