Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Strangest thing you've ever cooked on an egg

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tonight I cooked some frozen French Fries.
I got a good hot fire going to cook some steaks and figured why turn on the oven. Put them on fish tray (like a cookie sheet but with a lot of holes in it). Started them out at 450* but they started to burn. Got the temp down to 350 - 400 for about 20 minutes and they were fine. I kept opening the lid to flip/stir them though I'm not sure this was necessary. They were delicious, crispy outside and soft (but not undercooked) inside. And I only lost one through the grid![p]Whats the oddest thing you've ever cooked?[p]Peter

Comments

• WudEyeDoo
    WudEyeDoo Posts: 201
    Peter,
    Pumpkin seeds! Not bad, by the way.

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    WudEyeDoo,
    Damn! How big are they? Don't they fall through the grill a lot?

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Peter, I like doing the fries on a pizza stone. They are much better than ones done in the oven. Not the same as deep fried but easy and without the fat. [p]The oddest thing I ever did was probably smoked deviled eggs. I made them for a family gathering at Easter time and they went in seconds. Odd, maybe, but very good. [p]Chuck <><

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    fries.jpg
    <p />Chuck,[p]Oops, forgot the picture.
  • Sliced eggplant! Not on an Egg though because I don't have one, but it would only be better on one![p]Cut them into 1/4 slices. Salt them and let them sit for 45 minutes. Pat them dry with paper towels and coat them lightly with olive oil. Grill till lightly brown on both sides.[p]Serve 'em warm or let them cool, drizzled with a olive oil/lemon dressing. Yeah..........[p]
  • Ca_rnivore
    Ca_rnivore Posts: 120
    Peter,[p]I've done blackened aligator filets and peri-peri Emu filets! I'd like to try rattlesnake this summer if'n
    my friend in the hills has a snake problem this year (He does every year, so no problem there!). [p]Like Chuck, I've done smoked deviled eggs, they look kinda weird, but are very delicious.[p]--Kevin

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Ca_rnivore,
    Those sound good. Can you share your method?

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Ca_rnivore
    Ca_rnivore Posts: 120
    Wardster,[p]
    Not sure which item you're refering to, though I suspect you want the eggs. Here's a brief description of all:[p]1) Blackened Aligator - smothered them in a cajun blackening seasoning, then did 'em at 700° like a steak using the 3/3/4 method.[p]2)Peri-peri Emu - marinated in a homemade sauce (2tbs crushed pepper flakes, 1ts salt, 3 minced cloves garlic, 1 cup olive oil) for about 4 hours. Cooked at 500° for 3 minutes per side. Topped with 1/2cup melted butter and 1/4cup lemon juice before serving.[p]3)Rattlesnake, have had 'em breaded and deep fried. I want to soak them in buttermilk and grill like chicken.[p]4) And last but not least, Smoked Deviled Eggs. Reg posted this recipe here a couple of times. Basically, hard boil a dozen eggs, then peel 2 of them. Coat peeled eggs in your favorite BBQ rub and smoke them for about an hour as low as you can keep the fire. Finely chop the 2 smoked eggs, and use them with the other yolks to make the filling. Sprinkle with BBQ rub or paprika.[p]Please let me know if you need any more info.[p]--Kevin[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Peter,
    Many folks think squid was a pretty odd meal to cook on the barbie. Come to the Eggfest next week, and I'll be cooking 10 pounds of it. [p]Pumpkin seeds, as mentioned, are also a righteous odd dish to smoke up on humpty. [p]Hell, they have a WHOLE bunch of stuff at the local Korean market that I have never heard of, but would love to fire up on the egg-like cooker. Anyone cooked barracuda? They have lots of neat fresh fish I have never tried. Sea Cucumber seared hot and fast?? Maybe some knife clams.[p]Life is shweet indeed.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Peter,
    Not odd by my way of thinking, but I've smoked shucked oysters that are wonderful, and I've steamed mussels in garlic/white wine/butter in a pan in the Egg. Fabulous. Effortless, too; just save the juice to pour on the pasta.

• Gretl
    Nature Boy,
    Hey, I just found this very cool set of videos for preparing calamari, one of which shows grilling. It's the NY Time site, and calamari is featured for the month of April. Recipes included. Of course, I thought of you immediately! Love them squiddies.[p]http://www.nytimes.com/library/dining/cooking/20020424squid-intro.html

• Peter,
    Aside from the clams I did last night, I'd have to say that the one egg cook that has raised my wife's eyebrows the highest (her brow muscles are actually quite developed, thanks to my actions) was probably the malted barley I smoked for a batch of porter I made last year.[p]I soaked the barley a bit, and spread it out thin on some perforated foil, and smoked it with oak until dry.[p]BTW: That porter was amazing. The smoke was not detectable by most, but if you looked for it you could find it in the dry-ish aftertaste.[p]Now, if I could just fit that brewpot on the egg...
    bc
    Samammish,WA

• WudEyeDoo
    WudEyeDoo Posts: 201
    Sundown,
    They grow 'em big down here in Texas! (Actually I used a veggie grid)

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Gretl,
    Good readin! Thanks for more idears what to do with those delicacies of a creature.
    Beers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Dear Gretl,[p]Those mussels sound delish! What dome temp did you use and how long do they cook? Did you use a particular wood to get a smokey flavor as well?[p]TIA for your culinary wisdom :-)[p]Ellen
  • Huck
    Huck Posts: 110
    Peter,
    you're going to laugh. Perhaps it's the redneck in me. I made up a whole bunch of "Shake'n'Bake" chicken and cooked it in my K. It was holy cow good! Give it a shot, you could do much worse :)

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Ken:[p]We do the same thing with a spiced breading and chicken . . . Really good eating. But then we have similar roots!
    [/b]
  • Gretl
    Ellen aka Gormay,
    I believe it was about 350-375 dome temp. No, I didn't add any extra chips for smoke flavor. They were only slightly smoky flavored, which IMHO was good; they were very tasty and now that I think of it, I'll do them again soon and pay more attention to the method I used. EGG-sperimenting is always fun.
    Cheers,
    Gretl