Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fatties over Boston Butt?

Options
BlueRidge
BlueRidge Posts: 84
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
HAPPY FRIDAY!

Tomorrow is a big day in Carolina Country! Duke and Carolina meet again and if the gods smile down upon us the Devils will pull it off again! :evil: If not I hope the 16 pounds of boston butt a la Edler Ward will be enough to keep me safe!

I have never tried a fattie before and want to give it a go. I picked up a Jimmy Dean "hot" sausage roll (1lb) to try. I want to simply place a grid on top of the butts and set the fattie on top of that... will that work ok? If so...do you recommend cooking it at the beginning or the end of the butt's cook? I will probably stuff it with something but I am not that far ahead yet! Any and all suggestions welcome!

As always, thanks.

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    That will work just fine, but I would try to put it off to one side of the butts. Fatties tend to render a pretty good bit and I think it would add some of the hot sausage taste to the butt(s) it was over. If you are cooking on a large you should be able to move the 2 eight pounders far enough apart to squeeze a fattie between them or beside them. Later in the cook the butts will have shrunk up enough to make plenty of space for you.

At 250 a fattie should take about 2 hours or so to get done.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I would do the fattie around the middle of the pork butt for one reason.....snacking! At that point you'll be starving and need something to eat ;)

Other than that, I would not do it at the end unless you could keep it totally away from the butts because of possible cross contamination.

Best of luck on the cook! (I can't wish your Blue Devils the same....my family would disown me :P )

Go Heels!
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy Jay
    Just thinkin here on a friday night when I am gettin ready to sign off and take the missuz out, but might be best to have the butts done and in the cooler before you start your fatty. I'd want more heat than I'd want to put on my butts, and the crust you get on the fattie is key. Sounds like you are standing yourself up to ending up with a fattie that is cooked, but doesn't have the "edge" you get when you get some good browning.

Congrats on your Duke's dominance over my native Terps this year. Not many teams are fearing the turtle this year ;-)

Beers
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Yeah..I'm from KY...I hope they BOTH loose!!..cuzz that's all we've done this year :angry: :(
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    Glad to see you are back. Next time don't stay away too long.
  • Susan Egglaine
    Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
    Options
    It should be fun! Going to make a batch of wings and I am not sure what else. Have to get up early on Sunday to go to Greensboro for the womens ACC championship. GO DEVILS!!!
  • BlueRidge
    BlueRidge Posts: 84
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice. Cooking the darn thing after the butt's were pulled hadn't occured to me....funny how we forget the KISS principle!

Butt's are on, eggs stable at 250ish and I am going to get some shut eye.

Mabey I'll check in around 2 or 3 to see who's up!