Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fresh Herbs Update

Pork Butt Mike
Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Planted Dec. 26
After three weeks.
100_0565.jpg
8 Weeks
100_0629.jpg
Around 12 Weeks
100_0663.jpg

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Morning Pork Butt, :laugh:
    Herbs are looking good, did you notice any difference in your electric bill??? :(
    Have you tried em and what do you think???

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • Pork Butt Mike
    As for the electric bill it's so high I have not been paying attation to it. LOL As for trying the herbs I been useing them a lot and there is a big difference in useing fresh. The biggest question is it worth spending the money. I don't think so. It was a gift at Christmas, and I would not personialy go out and buy one if this one broke tomorrow.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Glad you're enjoying it and thanks for reading between the lines and answering my question. Maybe I will just build a small planter box and grow my try growing my own.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Mike,

That's really great! I've gotta ask my father to let me know if he spots another one of those lights. I mentioned to you before that he's got one that he uses for the plants he and my mother have at their place. Beats paying $2 for some bagged herbs for which you may only use a few teaspoons worth.
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Hey Mike what you can do with your left over herbs is put them in a zip lock bag and freeze them. So you don't have to throw them away. Thats what i do and they do keep a lot better that way.
  • mojopin
    mojopin Posts: 200
    Mike,

They are looking great! I didn't buy mine either, I used the points from a credit card, but I'm on my 3 package of seeds and I love it. I don't think I'd 'buy' one for myself either though.

The flower I have next to it is thriving though! I was given a peacock blossom on valentine's day that was only about an 4 inches tall on one blossom and 2 inches on the 2nd one.. and now they are fully bloomed and about 15 inches tall. Those grow bulbs are seriously powerful.

I have the same problem as you though, the basil and my mint have taken over and the plants towards the outside like the chives are almost non existent!

I love the fresh basil for sauces and the mint for mojitos!

-Jill
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    I guess I should start doing that. I bought one of those Foodsavers from Costco earlier this year, and I wasn't thinking about freezing the leftover herb. Thank you for the great tip--I appreciate it!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    BB

They will last a fairly long time fresh if you stand them up in a glass jar covered with some water in the bottom.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Pork Butt Mike
    Jill the fresh basil is great, but my mint is not growing much much, thats the parsley in the front left which is doing good. Happy Egging