Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for advice on a MBGE purchase.

eichster
eichster Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am thinking about joining the egg family. I have wanted one for years and am now currently searching for the best deal. I have checked locally and found a dealer just 5 miles from my house but they are way over priced compared to online. MBGE with nest for $765.00 and a large with nest for $865.00. but if you go online I have found the medium for $450.00 with free shipping. I know the warranty is void if you buy it from the internet but for a $300.00 + savings it would seem like the smart thing to do. Can anyone recommend a good internet company?The best price I could find was Barbeque.com.

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Look down the threads to Barbecues.com? and read it. Pay particular attention to Bobby-Q's remarks. He's the factory guy.

Buying from your local dealer is the smartest thing 'cause when you need something quick he'll be there. If you buy on line and not from him he's liable to tell you to go on line and get your service.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Stay with your local dealer. I am not a dealer or associated with them in any way other than I own 2 larges. My 2'nd one was free and I have $300 into it easy. Anything goes wrong with that one and it's on me. What happens if it shows up damaged?? Free shipping is not such a good deal then. Hope you make the right choice but whichever way you go welcome to the Eggnation

Pat
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    You have to wonder: Where do all of these "gray-market" Eggs come from if not the factory?
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I agee 100%. If BGE cared about the end user or the local retail merchant they could easily stop internet sales of their products. But as with most other companies that refuse to honor repairs from internet sales, they don't care. They get to sell large amounts of Eggs to internet places for sales and never have to back the product. Why would they want to stop this money making process?
    Just my speculation, I'm sure they have a good reason.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Yeah, $300 is a lot of money but two broken fireboxes and you will be even then everything from then on will be gravy if you stick with the local guy.

And yes, BGE needs to fix their policy or stop selling to Internet sales outfits but then again that would cut into their profits and which probably make their warranty possible.

Time for you to roll the dice. Problem is you don't have any idea of the odds so I guess you either go the safe route or take your chances.

I went the safe route and am glad I did.
  • Scubadog
    Scubadog Posts: 100
    Speak with the owner of the dealership directly. Discuss your price issues openly and honestly. Tell him that you respect his right to make a profit. Keep in mind that having a local recourse for a warranty issue definitely has value that is above and beyond the internet price. Remind the dealer that having a good customer also has value. Remind him that you will buy accessories and that you will recommend him once your friends taste the fabulous meals you make for them. Everything is negotiable.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    forgive me for sounding brief and harsh, please.
    buy from a local dealer, period. go to bge website type in your zip code and then comparison shop amoungest the local dealers. [like buying a car except this is a life time purchase]
    if you can,buy a large. and [just to be a jerk, {i am good at that :laugh: }] drive more than 5 miles if you have to. now that i am done being a jerk, many dealers include the nest, a bag of lump and other stuff. do the math. if you have a patio you do not need the nest. are you planning to build a table?
    good luck and hope you join us
    p.s. start planing for your second egg now. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: .
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    If you let us know where you live. There may be a member close that can give you an alternative location to buy from.

Gene
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Driving 50 miles won't cost you $300, either.

I'd "speak German" with the local dealer... Tell him your deal, take it or leave it. His choice.

He can make the sale and take less, or be stupid and lose your business and your recommendations to others.

If I'm a dealer... duh! :whistle:

You don't need a nest. They tip over easily... :ohmy:

I have a low platform made from scraps -- my Medium and Small sit on this platform... which [for me] is preferable than a portable table. My Egg live outside in all weather -- and they tell me Life is Good! ;)

My Medium is two years old. Both the firebox and the fire ring need to be replaced. My dealer has already delivered the firering [no cost -- nada... zilch!]
    :laugh:

I agree -- The prices he's quoting seem very high. It sounds like he understands how to make a sale, but not how to sell a customer -- to have you trust him, to come back for more, yada-yada. :angry:

I have two local dealers. Both price their eggs just about the same. One obviously wants my repeat business and supports me, the other doesn't know who I am. :unsure:

Go figure.

Then, point the car and enjoy your trip.

Good luck --

Let us know how you come out!

BTW -- My Medium is all I need for me and my family. However, I entertain a lot [lot of church gigs]. Man-oh-man! I wish I had a Large!

~ Broc

:)
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Eggcellent advice!

;)
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    With all due respect (and I agree with you) your post does not have a thing to due with my post, why tell me?
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • eichster
    You all make very good points. I have checked other local dealers in the central louisians (Alexandria) area and they are a little less but not enough savings to justify the 1.5 hour drive to the next dealer. I think I will talk to the local dealer and see if he will price match and if not maybe I will invest in the nest later and just get the egg now.

Thanks
  • AlwaysGolf
    AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
    I was in the same dilemna(sp) when I bought my eggs. I had to drive 3 hours round trip just to look at one. Ended up buying from the local guy, not the big box dealer in the town. Gave a great price plus a huge discounts (50%) on all the eggcessories I bought that day. I guess he wanted the sale and didn't want me to go across town. Plus he was recommended by someone on the forum who shops there.

Make the drive, It may be worth it!!
  • AlwaysGolf
    AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
    I was in the same dilemna(sp) when I bought my eggs. I had to drive 3 hours round trip just to look at one. Ended up buying from the local guy, not the big box dealer in the town. Gave a great price plus a huge discounts (50%) on all the eggcessories I bought that day. I guess he wanted the sale and didn't want me to go across town. Plus he was recommended by someone on the forum who shops there.

Make the drive, It may be worth it!!
  • WileECoyote
    WileECoyote Posts: 516
    This seems to be a popular topic lately - several similar threads in the past week alone.

There was a lot of debate about Barbecues.com in another recent thread. Here is the link.

A friend recently ordered a small egg for $325 during their free S/H sale. No tax since he was out of state. Pretty good deal in my opinion. See the other thread for a full debate.

I am really amazed at how so many people are so adamant about buying from a local dealer. I agree it makes sense to get a lifetime warranty and better local support if the price is right, but this doesn't mean you should sell your first born child to get the warranty. :) If you can save $200-$400 or more on the deal then put that money in the bank where it will earn interest, and use it later if you ever do have a problem.

Also, I am really starting to get concerned about all these posts about how important the warranty coverage is. Most of these posts are from owners which report multiple broken parts that were replaced free under warranty. If this is true and the BGE breaks so often and for so many people then we seem to have another problem:

[ol][li]The BGE is poorly made and factory defects are common. In this case the warranty might be worth it but I have trouble believing that such a popular product breaks so often for so many people due to true manufacturer defects.[/li]
    [li]The BGE is made well and factory defects are rare, but people that post on the forum have a much higher defect rate, possibly because they cook much more often than the average egg owner.[/li]
    [li]The overall number of people which have warranty claims is low but it appears to be higher since people only tend to report problems as opposed to reporting that they never had a defect.[/li][/ol]

I am a relatively new egger but a friend has been using several of them for years and he only broke one of the old ceramic fire grates, which he dropped so it was his fault, and the grate still works but you have to set it back in carefully. One of the thermometers went bad with moisture inside the glass but that isn't covered by the BGE warranty anyway.

To each his own, but I am betting my money on scenarios 2 and 3, so if I can save $300 or more by purchasing online then I will do it in a heartbeat. I trust in the BGE to be top quality and I am very careful with handling it. If I do something stupid and break it then I wouldn't want to blame the mothership or file a warranty claim anyway.
  • Hmmm... advice from a cartoon character whose choices always failed? Now if you name was Roadrunner...
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    You say a medium with nest locally for $765 or a medium online for $350.
    What else does the local guy throw in?
    Daisy top?
    Bag of lump?
    Ash tool?
    More?
    What is the retail price on the nest?

What does Barbeque.com include?
    Help with setup?
    Nest?
    Warranty?
    Anything?

My guess is the price spread is actually something less than $300.
    Even if it was, I wouldn’t consider the online buy for anything more than half price, shipping and accessories included.
  • eichster
    To answer some of your questions the price locally for the egg alone is $526.00 Med and $650.00 large no other accessories thrown in and to be honest the accesories seem over priced compared to online. I can't find a MSRP for the eggs anywhere if someone knows these I would appreciate it so I have a comparison point to start. BBQ.com does not have any accessories either so i am still looking at a $75.00 difference now and for that small amount I will go with the local dealer. Now I just have to decide Med or Large.

Thanks for your advice I appreciate it.

Eichster
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    That sounds much more realistic.

There are several people on the list who are very happy with their medium.
    The large outsells all other sizes.
    The most common buyer's regret is; "I wish I had bought a large instead of the medium." (I was one of these.)