Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Breasts

Buck
Buck Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Going to make chicken sandwiches. Need help on cooking method for skinless chicken breasts. Direct or indirect, & temp. Thanks. Buck

Comments

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Buck,
    I would cook them direct at around 375.
    B D

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Buck,
    I like the boneless breasts cooked direct over a hot fire so that I get some good browning and a little char before the meat overcooks and dries. A hot glowing bed of coals (not a huge load), and about a 500-600 dome temp works best for me. The ones I cook are usually around an inch thick, and take about 5-7 minutes per side to reach 165 internal.[p]Thats how I like them anywho!
    Good luck. And Beers.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Buck,
    Secret to good boneless chicken breasts is to pound them first to an even thickness; mine end up to be about 1/3 to no more than 1/2" thick. This is important so they cook quickly and evenly without having time to dry out. I brine mine if I have time for half a day or so, then rinse and dry them. Sprinkle with rub (Gilded Splinters is mighty fine), herbs, or just freshly ground pepper and a little olive oil. Then with the grill hot and the dome temp around 350-400, I oil the grill and cook them direct for no more than about 3 minutes/side, followed by about a one-minute "dwell" with the vent and cap closed. This results in nice grill marks, and very juicy tender meat. When I flip them over, I usually add a barbecue (Big Chief!) or teriyaki sauce. Even thickness provides a perfect sandwich filling, too. Cooks Illustrated magazine featured this grilling method last summer as achieving far and away the best results, and it hasn't failed me yet. HOWEVER, they didn't mention using the Big Green Egg and we all know, THAT's the REAL secret to success!
    Hope this helps,
    Gretl

• Gretl,
    Hey, you've been peeking over my fence! ;)[p]You've described the "hows and whys" of how I treat my chicken breasteses perfectly. Uniform thickness has been the best secret to breasts. I always hated that piece of meat because it seemed that to get the thick side done, you had to ruin the thin side.[p]So, I guess this is just a "me too" post.[p]Oh, wait! I can add a bit of value! When it comes to brining, I've found that you can infuse a lot more than just salt, and water.[p]Next poultry brine, try tossing everything you would otherwise rub onto the chicken, into the brine! Works wonders, and it's really quick and easy. I tend to slightly over-salt my brine, and leave the bird in for less time. Also, try just a bit of sugar in the brine to help carmelize the meat since there's no skin to brown.[p]The only down side to this method is that it does use more spices and herbs than a direct application.[p]Good soaking!
    bc
    Sammamish, WA

• Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    bc,[p]How long do you brine flattened breasts? [p]Thanks!
  • Prof Dan,
    I think that really depends on the brine itself. If you have a liquid with a lot of salt and flavor to it, then you could go as little as maybe 30 - 45 minutes. [p]Because of my particular inexact cooking methods I just kinda "wing it" each time.[p]However, I usualy go with about an hour, unless I noticed that the brine was exceptionaly salty (yes, I taste BEFORE the chicken goes in!) then maybe closer to 45 min.[p]I like to get the flavors in the breasts more than the liquid itself. If you leave them in there too long, you can end up with a mushy consistency. [p]Remember, you pounded these suckers out flat, so they have a lot of surface area for our buddy osmosis to do his little dance. And once the goodness gets inside from both sides, it does not have far to go.[p]Now for whole birds, I usualy go overnight, and use less salt accordingly.[p]And of course always brine in non-reactive vessels like glass, stainless steel, ceramic, or if you have too, plastic. Never aluminum, or cast iron.[p]
    bc
    Sammamish, WA[p]

• Gretl
    bc,
    I have added more to the basic salt-and-sugar brining solution; Julie Applegates fabulous turkey brine recipe from John Ash on the FoodTV network comes to mind, as do Bob Pastorio's brine recipes. However, I'm usually a day late and a dollar short and a great brine does take a little forethought. Hindthought I'm great at; forethought...not so.[p]Hey, was it you who posted the great pizza/pissaladiere recipe and technique awhile back? I meant to respond enthusiastically but busy work got in the way. We absolutely adore caramelized onions on pizza and we also are dedicated anchovy and Mediterranean black olive fans. You're a cook after my own heart (stomach?) for posting.
    Now I'm hungry as usual; it's too early for lunch!
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Gretl,
    Can you post a link to the Julie Applegate brine directions, or do you have them? Thanks![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Gretl
    The Naked Whiz,
    I'm just running out the door; I'll check later.
    Cheers,
    G.

• Gretl,[p]Ahh, I'm afraid that it twas not I that gave you the idea for the pissaladiere.[p]I too, however, am a big fan of carmelized onions (on just about anything!) [p]We do pizza on the egg quite often, with homemade crust (homemade moz cheese coming soon!) but alas, I'not taken the time to carmelize my onions first. I sure will next time, now that you've planted that idea in my head![p]I'd love to hear more about the pissaladiere dish and technique.[p]BTW: After experiencing that "10:00 am hungry thing" in response to the great ideas here once to often, I've started trying to keep myself from checking in AFTER lunch![p]Good cookin'
    bc
    Sammamish,WA

• Gretl
    bc,
    Well, shoot. Here I thought I was giving belated credit and thanks. My "You da man!" post has turned into "Who da man?"[p]I can't believe I would ever prepare or eat anything beginning with "piss". Basically, just load the crust with caramelized onions (they become so sweet!), good Mediterranian olives, and anchovies. Sprinkle with thyme. I'm thinking there may be no cheese at all, but a little fresh moz or freshly shaved parmesan added at the very end. Check some of the recipe sites. And if whoever DID post the reference comes forward, let's have the recipe added to the BGE collection![p]Cheers,
    G.