Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What size for a second BGE??

Tim M
Tim M Posts: 2,410
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I struck out with search....[p]I've had a large BGE for a couple of years, it was a life changing cooking appliance. We grill/smoke at least 3X week year round, we entertain 3X more than we did...... it's not a smoker, it's a way of life.[p]That all said, I gave away the disused gasser that was taking up patio space (had kept it in case of a charcoal shortage ;-), Eggfest is coming up, and I occasionally get stressed trying to do too many courses/dishes at once on my LBGE.... it's time to bring home a little sister for my egg.[p]So - what size to get? I built a table for the large, and it is very rare that the large has insufficient space for our needs (doing 40 burgers at a go is challenging, but this is a rare event).... I need the second egg to do different rather than more.[p]What are the "second egg" thoughts and experiences of the board? Is a micro too little, is a small too heavy to easily tote? Does the mini look bad beside a large? ;-)
Comments?
thanks-
timm

Comments

• Scubadog
    Scubadog Posts: 100
    Sounds like a small may be in your future. Gets the job done and likes to go camping.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    In your case I would go for another Large. You probably have a number of accessories already and unless you plan to haul the new Egg to other places, the large is the way to go. Or maybe even an extra large. The mini is great for a quick burger or snack or even a steak but is limited. I do like my mini though.

Spring "Buy The Complete Set" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    i have a large and a mini and cook for 3 at the most sometimes just me. most here seem to recommend a large and a small or a large and a large. based on what you said... for entertaining i would go two larges. i love my mini

smokedcheeseandchicken003.jpg

these are the largest breasts i could find

smokedcheeseandchicken010.jpg

smokedcheeseandchicken011.jpg

smokedcheeseandchicken012.jpg
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I have a large, medium, and mini.

I use them all about the same frequency. I like the large for hot cooks, the medium more for chicken and indirect cooks, and the mini for anything that fits on it (2 pieces of salmon tonight for example).

I was torn, and the main reason I chose the medium to join my large was that the large extended grid worked with it, the pizza stone fits, the BBQ Guru adapter door fit both, and I am strong enough to easily pull the medium out of my table and take it with me when I need to.

I think the small is also a great cooker. There is nothing a medium can do that a small can't.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    timm,
    you have a few comments at The New Forum you might want to check over there[p][p]me i have a large and a small it is not too heavy to carry[p][p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• timm,[p]You've got some answers to your post over in the new forum. Just scroll up and click on the link to get there.

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    timm,
    As the others have already said...check the new forum for some good responses....but...FWIW....the forum name "Tim M" is already registered to another user and clicking your name takes others to his profile..might wanna pick another name to post with.[p]Wess

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    My second egg was a large. I've had quite a few guests and are usually doing an indirect and direct cook. But you really can't beat the small for tailgating. I have a mini also. Combined they are called "4th and Short" Small was my 4th, mini is the shortest.

smchefs1.jpg

Mike
  • BENTE
    LOL :whistle:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• DynaGreaseball
    DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    Is it as pretty in Anderson today, as it is in Charlotte?
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    I have a Medium and a Small.

If I could wave a magic wand, and end up with two Eggs, it would the a Large and a Medium.

~ B
  • BENTE
    yea it started out chilly but turned out nice i think i will wear shorts to the Queen City tomorrow :P

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    timm,

I went with the SBGE...it's really versatile.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Looks great, was wondering how the cheese came out on the mini???

Thanks,
    Bordello
  • lowercasebill
    cheese was great. the cheddar needs to age for a week in a ziplock the muenster was perfect and the mozzerella needed more smoke. what i do not know is.?...is it the type of cheese? or the position on the grate of the mini.? pics in reverse order

smokedcheeseandchicken008.jpg

smokedcheeseandchicken004.jpg

smokedcheeseandchicken003.jpg

smokedcheeseandchicken002.jpg

smokedcheeseandchicken001.jpg
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Fidel,

I was with you when you picked out the medium. When we moved into the temporary accommadations, I took a large and the medium. Been everything I have needed.
    Good to see you back on the forum guy.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    I have a LBGE now...I think I'm buying a small Friday...If I don't get there and decide on the medium... :blink: :blink:
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    My wife waves that magic wand all the time. She calls it the American Express card.

She just waves it past the register and whatever she wants magically appears at our house.

Funny how that works .... :(
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Great pictures. I think I only did cheese once and it was a few years back. Sorry I can't help with your question about the smoke and types of cheese. I was surprised to see it on the mini as the grate is so close to the fire even with the ice as a spacer/cooler.

Good job,
    Bordello
  • lowercasebill
    3 briquettes in the fireplace till covered with ash put in the mini with smoke wood on top. they recommend six for a large. only one load of ice and the temp was good as the pics show. next time i will use the large to evaluate the cheese type vs. position [more even smoke exposure] one thing i am sure about is aging the cheddar. please consult tnw about not sealing smoked cheese in wrap or a ziplock before putting in fridge or better yet ask his better half [ha ha ]
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Bill:

a couple of weeks ago I did Gouda cheddar and mozarella for the same amount of time. The mozarella was under smoked the guoda was ok and the cheddar had a little bad smoke flavor. I think it is the cheese. BTW I used cherry BBQ delight.Left the cheese in a plastic baggy for two weeks. Thanks TNW! B4 passing judgment.
  • lowercasebill
    my cheddar was bad smokey but improved with time. based on your input i think less smoke time for cheddar and more for mozzerella whenh i try agian
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Yep -- I understand.

And, in MY house, she has the card... When I want something, I have to beg...

"Mother, may I...?"

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:
  • Thanks to all for the feedback. Interesting to me that www.biggreenegg.com points to the "old forum" - this is a much better UI.

Looks like a Small is in the future for me,
    cheers!
    timm
  • Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    timm,[p]Yep - you will be assimilated![p]Like going from XP to Vista, the other Forum is a little rough getting used to, but the needs of the many.... anyway, get over there...[p]I'm on the other side of the fence - single - nobody to cook for except neighbors and coworkers and freezer ;)[p]I have a large and need something else, so I've looked at a medium and a small. It seems that the small is great for people on the go, or just need another cooking surface - e.g. do steaks on one and veggies, seafood, or whatever on another. Because of the versatility and everything else that is available for the medium, and I'm not too concerned with portability (except moving in and out of garage), I'm probably going to go with the medium.[p]-Jeeves[p]P.S. C U on the other side!