Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

daisy wheel cleaning

Drunk at the EGG
Drunk at the EGG Posts: 52
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the best way to de-gunk a daisy wheel? I tried boiling water and it did not do anything.
Thanks
Drunk At The Egg

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    When you finished cooking on your BGE and you are shutting it down put the daisy wheel in the BGE and put the Rain cap on top. The BGE will still be hot enough to get the gunk out.

Kim Youngblood
    (aka vidalia1)
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    I use two different ways.
    1. When I do a high temp burn to clean the egg, I put the Daisy inside fo 20/30 minutes; cleans it just like new. Put pam on the daisy.
    2.Put the daisy in a can; pour ammonia in until it covers the daisy; I let it set for a couple of days; take it out; put pam on it.
    Hammer
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Hmmmm... I'll try the ammonia gig... Thanks!
  • I have been shutting down the egg with the raincap and placing the daisy wheel on my old grill(now eggcessory storage unit). The key is to leave the daisy wheel "petals" open and the lid partially open. When warming up my egg, I simply put the daisy wheel on the egg. It moves easily once it is warmed up.

Hope this helps.

TC
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Personally I prefer the ammonia method and have great results after just one day of soaking and using a stiff brush under running water. Just be careful of the fumes and never EVER pour ammonia down the drain if you are on a septic system!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Broc
    Thanks for the comment!

~ Broc
  • Broc
    I have found that unless I burn off the goo-buildup, simply warming up the daisey is eventually going to lead to goo-droppings inside the Egg, and down the outside.

I have been converted and baptised into the faith of burning off excess in occasional hi-temp afterburns.

Great for the daisy and inside of the egg, grills... not so great on the gasket!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • I store my daisy wheel inside the egg after each cook as well- no problems wth sticking since I used this great tip from the forum.

Gasket? I ain't got no stinkin gasket!
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    I am of the put it on the grate after the cook school.

I always know where the dang thing is and I know it's clean.
  • Thanks for the help!
  • MikeC
    MikeC Posts: 3
    After 8 years of weekly and sometimes daily use, my cast iron cap is really gunked up. I was wondering if putting the cap/daisy wheel in a self-cleaning oven would work - or would the oven get too hot for the daisy wheel. I think self-cleaning ovens get up to about 1200-1500 degrees during the cleaning cycle.

Any thoughts?
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Mike you might want to post that as a new topic if the thread didn't answer your question. The one you responded to was posted back in March.