Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The dilemma...

Options
egginator
egginator Posts: 569
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The family wants a second egg, but I can't decide whether to buy a second large or go with the small. If go with the small it comes much sooner than if I go with the large (due to $$$ constraints). Should I get the small now, or wait a few months and get the large. I have a bunch of stuff that fits the large; 4 or 5 grids, plate setter, pizza stone, TJV adjustable rig, wok ring, spider, woo ring, etc, so I'm thinking a second large would be a better choice, but I don't want to wait either. What do you guys think?

Ed

Comments

• TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    Perhaps you should compromise and get a medium?
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    A small is a great addition to any stable.They heat up fast and use very little lump.I use mine all the time.It was all I could afford at the time,but can't imagine eggin without it. :)
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    It really depends on how you think it will change your cooking. The small is great to do ABTs while you've got ribs/brisket/butts on the large. It also is a great steak/burger/dog cooker. I often grill chicken on that while I've got pizzas cooking on the large and finish the nights cook with wood grilled chicken pizzas.

If your cooking need is more volume then wait for the large. If you want different temps/setups then maybe a small will do you.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    I'd go with the second LBGE, since you already have all the accessories for it. However, the SBGE is a really nice cooker. I got that first instead of getting the DigiQ, which I've just recently acquired. Also, I wanted an XL for my second egg, but really wanted the extra egg to use for cooking something else at another temperature or method at the same time I was using the LBGE. The Small BGE has been a faithful member of the lineup, and I'm just waiting for the Texas Eggfest to pick up the XL at a nice price.

Really, you can't go wrong either way.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I've got 2 LBGE's and my next wish is for a small but would not trade either for a small. The 2 larges really come in handy and if I had to do over again would get both larges first but my wish list has a small at the top. Sorry to confuse it but I can do anything on the large that I think I could do on the small but would like to have one for the smaller cooks.
    OK sorry ,,, This Don't help you none, but I like having 2 larges for the few times I'm cooking for 40 plus but for 2 steaks don't think I'm wasting much lump.

Pat
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    I've got the LBGE and I go back and forth and back and forth..but I'm now settled on the SBGE as my next purchase..it just offers so much versatility for the small cooks for just me and the wiffie, plus being able to do steaks, burgers, pizza, abts, taters, whatever for 2-3 while the LBGE is doing a long cook..for me.it's the small all the way...with the massive amount of meat you can get on the LBGE, it just doesn't make sense for me to get another large..but that's me... :P :P
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    no matter which way you go you'll enjoy. Take the wife's advice cause we all know if Mom's happy the house is HAPPY. :blush::whistle:;)
    Pat
  • pop-a- top
    pop-a- top Posts: 184
    Options
    I have 2 large work very nice would like small for camping.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    My advice is to get the small now and then save up for a second large later or get a second large at an eggfest at the discounted price.
  • Scubadog
    Scubadog Posts: 100
    Options
    The small is perfect for two person cooks and easily transported for camping. My choice is a small and and XL.