Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt @ Costco

Sparky
Sparky Posts: 34
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just purchased a 14lb. pork butt from Costco. Is this the same as a Boston Butt? I have been wanting to try pulled pork, and thought this must the cut of meat that is used. Your input will greatly be appreciated.

Comments

• Sparky, You're right on target with the butt. Costco has had some great prices andecent quality on various cuts, though I have yet to see a brisket available and their butchers here in San Jose don't know what a brisket is! I'm sure somedoes, but the guys answering my questions don't. My first butt (and first low/slow ever) turned out great, moist with a nice bark. Good luck.

• Sparky
    Sparky Posts: 34
    mcfish,[p]Here in AZ, they know what a brisket is, but don't have a clue what a Boston Butt is. (neither do I) I have purchased several briskets from the Costco in Glendale. In fact, I request a brisket still in the cryovac (they usually trim them up before putting them in display). But, they only come in the flat cut. [p]I plan on cookin' this Butt tonight, if I can figure out how.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Sparky,[p]The picnic and butt cuts both are excellent when cooked low and slow. They are from the upper front leg and the front shoulder of the pig. Check the link for a great recipe and directions on cooking. Shout if we can be of help.[p]Spin
    [ul][li]NC Pulled Pork[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    mcfish,
    The Costco here in Virginia has Briskets, but all the fat is trimmed off. Excuse the pun, but that renders them useless.[p]They do have nice butts though, and lots of other good stuff.
    Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ