Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting Egg HOT!

Options
Buck
Buck Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cannot seem to get my egg over about 590. Who can help?

Comments

• Vegas Slim
    Vegas Slim Posts: 166
    Options
    Buck,
    well i would think that you have some air holes plugged in the grate when my egg has fresh lump and i know it has no plugged vent holes on the bottom it has no problme getting to 700 plus in a very short amount of time to speed things up i will point my egg so the wind blows into the bottm vent when wanting turbo cooks you can try to unplug the holes by using a coat hanger bent at a 90

• Buck
    Buck Posts: 21
    Options
    Vegas Slim, I have tried this method, with no sucsess. I will continue trying, all atempts have been at or around 60 outside temp. How much lump, full firebox? Slide wheel off? Full open slide?[p]
  • char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Options
    buck,[p]assuming that your lower vent is aligned properly with your ash chamber's opening, you might try lighting your fuel from below. This works well if you get weber firestarter cubes (or anything like them). put two or three in the ash chamber. light'em up. If they don't get your fire going, that tells you whether there are any problems with the fire grate - or something else basic like that. if they catch they will give you a hot, sustained fire within 15 minutes or so.[p]good luck,
    CB

• Vegas Slim
    Vegas Slim Posts: 166
    Options
    buck, char buddy has a great point make sure the opening of fire chamber is lined up with the lower vent and also about bottom starting for a hot fire use top starting for low and slow make sure bottom vent is wide open and NO TOP watch temp as it will rise quickly or at least it should and good luck

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Buck,
    Like char buddy said...make sure things are lined up properly; clean out old, small bits of lump and ash, then load it up with a full load of fresh lump, no daisy wheel on top and wide open bottom vent. If that still doesn't work, chcek/regauge your thermometer.

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    buck,
    I recently switched both large and small Eggs to iron grates. (Using the medium grate in the small Egg.) Both units come to temp (even 700º) faster than with the ceramic grates. As they are also thinner than the ceramic, there's less chance for ash clog. I love 'em.[p]Ken

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Vegas Slim,
    Funny how we all have different luck doing things. I have tried the bottom light method several times and feel like I am watch a pot of water, waiting for it boil. I always light from the top, only because it works best for me. I also leave my dome open till the cube goes out, there are many that prefer to close the dome as soon as they light the cube. When not using a cube I use my propane torch.
    Cheers to ya,
    New Bob