Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Old Guard!!

Options
13»

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,[p]After your post I got several e-mails asking me this question. The only time that has happened is when I have missed one of the shout-out posts directed to me.[p]Anyway, I didn't see your post... (I guess because of the less amount of time I have been cruising) then I had to go back to find DrBBQ's post too to see what you guys were talking about.[p]I normally mind my own business and usually stay clear of many of the OT threads and all of the spam war threads. But even I was blown out during that week when there were so many lively (and I use that word lightly) exchanges and general misbehaving between spammers, trolls and our forum members. [p]Then the new forum came on line and we had a troubleshooting period. I had registered a long time ago, so all that stuff was in place and everything worked for me. So after reading some of the problems folks were having, I was lucky in that respect. It seemed like the troubleshooting period went on forever. 25% of the posts were about user issues. That got kind of old. I see there are still some bugs today. Some of the small fonts did not work well for me and it took some time to get comfortable with the different views. The double post thing still bites me from time to time and I missed quite a few e-mails from folks that sent them through the site. I don't mind signing on, all the other forums I belong to require it, I just wish this one would remember me longer than one session. I also don't like the extra navigation after posting to get back where I was before. I do like the ability to edit posts and the automatic signature line.[p]I don't know much about what goes on behind the scenes with this software. Maybe it's just more complicated to work with that I realize.[p]Until next time....
    ~thirdeye~[p][p]

PS As you requested this was posted on the old forum
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Michael B
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    There has always been inquiries posted by people trying to decide whether to spend the $$$ on their first Egg, or buy something else. I’ve seen several of those questions on other BBQ forum boards, all with the same problem; they couldn’t ask here because they couldn’t figure out the new forum.
    I wonder how many people have been turned away from buying a BGE out of frustration with the new forum.[p]I was a daily reader of this forum.
    I get on the new forum a couple times a week. Maybe.

• Michael B
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    Has anyone else noticed that Lost in Utah disappeared as soon as the local geek squad made the transition?[p]Surely he wasn't a plant?

• JM3
    JM3 Posts: 272
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,[p]I haven't been on the new forum in about 3 weeks. Too much trouble. I have to log in and then find the correct link to the forum. I like the log-in to post because it cuts down on trolls but the forum just isn't as simple as it should be.[p]John
  • randomegger
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    Well, truth told, I've been scarce as there's this real life thing that has my attention lately. [p]That said, I have never had any luck with the new forum. I am trying to activate now but it seems I need to get an email to complete - I'm alookin' for it still.[p]I really hate change. LOL[p]RE

• WileECoyote
    Options
    I am a relatively new egg owner and forum user, however I have many years of experience with other forums and I work in IT so I know a lot about the related technology. Here are some of my perceptions to date:

I originally found the forum link on the BGE site. It takes me to www.eggheadforum.com which looks absolutely horrendous. I tried using it several times but the interface was so poor that I quickly abandoned any attempts to find and post content.

I used the new forum shortcut which took me to www.greeneggers.net and the site looked very similar. Some functions were better and it is definitely more usable but it is still terrible when compared to other professional forums. I broke down and created an account and have been reading / searching / posting for a few weeks now.

My main gripes with the greeneggers.net forum are as follows:
    - poor non-standard screen layouts (ex: login boxes appear in bottom left an require me to scroll down to see them, too much space wasted in margins and headers, etc.)
    - views and layouts are not consistent across the site (some are wide, others narrow, location of common controls will change as you move around, etc.)
    - common functions hidden or not standardized (search box only on some pages, no search options visible, etc.)
    - poor performance (searches take too long, some posts do not save, etc.)
    - very different from most other commercial forum packages which I use often

My suggestion would be to get some funding from BGE and/or solicit contributions from the forum members to become "subscribers" for $10-$20 per year. Then use the $$$$ to implement a traditional package which is more robust and stable while also being standard and user friendly. I specifically like the software used by the following forums:
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/
    http://www.howardforums.com/
    http://www.pdaphonehome.com/

Notice how they all look and feel similar, and work pretty much the same way. I would definitely be willing to subscribe and also volunteer time to setup or serve as a moderator. Based on all the active experts here I am sure that many others would do the same.
  • JWG
    JWG Posts: 5
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    I do not really feel like a "Old Guard" member to the site because I have not been an active contributor. However, I have been a daily reader of the site since about 2002. In 2006 I moved from Texas to the Republic of Panama. Initially on the old site I was denied access to even view the site because my IP address was in Panama. However, the old site provided a way to request access. I did and things have worked OK ever since.[p]The new site has a similar process for foreign IP adresses. However, I have repeatedly requested access and received emails confirming that I have been granted access. Unfortunately, I am still denied access. I also posted on the old site hoping the web guru would fix the problem. No such luck.[p]I understand that limiting site access only to IP addresses registered in select countries is a security feature. However, it is a very ineffective process and poorly managed process in its current form.[p]After spending hours trying to gain access to the new forum and trying to contact the web gurus at BGE, I spent about 10 minutes finding a free internet proxy service that fools the site into thinking that I have an IP address in the U.S. If I, as a casual user can do this, just think what a serious hacker wanting to do harm to the site could do.[p]Overall, I believe the new site is much less user friendly than the old site. Based upon the number of problems people are reporting, it also appears that those responsible for the new site design and security may be overwelmed by the new endeavor.[p]I have gotten a tremendous amount of very useful information from this forum over the years. I really hate to see it ruined due to web site design and easily overcome security issues. [p]I hope that BGE management will realize that a user friendly and popular forum is an essential element necessary to maintain the "cult" following that it has created with the old forum.[p]JWG

• Celtic Wolf,
    I am a crusty old curmudgeon who dislikes change that I consider to be un necessary. Besides that the new print is too small for me to read. If someone was paying attention to making the new forum work they would make it readable and have it return to the post that one was reading when you hit your browsers backbutton, not the top of the forum. I tried 3 times to register with no success. If they want to make it difficult they can keep it.

• "Uncle Joe"
    Options
    P1010052.jpg
    <p />South O,
    ?

• Uncle Phil
    Uncle Phil Posts: 669
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    I always enjoyed this site, probably because it was my first experience with the Egg and with you guys. There is sort of a family feel here. When I first started, everyone was wonderful in assuring I didn't blow myself up or become the poster boy at the burn center! I feel home here. Nothing wrong with the other site, but if it ain;t broke, don't fix it! Part of the problem I see is there are two choices. Decided on one and shut down the other.[p]Uncle Phil