Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

got some lump on sale!!

Options
mikeb6109
mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
well went to lowes last week and saw a big supply of royal oak on sale for 6 dollars for a large bag!! wow i thought so i grabbed a few bags. when i got home i could not wait to get a better look at my purchase. to my surprise after openning the bag .......it is briquettes!! no wonder it was on sale and there was so much left.well next time i will be more carefull, but the question now is " can i use this in the egg now that i have it bought and at home or do i just take my loss and give them away to someone who can use them?"

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i made that mistake with rancher at HD. but i have kept it only used it for smoking cheese and sucking funky odors out of my outside fridge. there is no reason you can't use it in your egg but beware it will have alot of ash which will choke your egg out. so do not use it on a long low and slow. ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• citychicken
    Options
    i use it in my mini for all of my high temp cooks and it does a great job for the price. the mini is so easy to clean out, so the ash isn't a problem for me.

i never use the stuff on my large egg especially not for any long low and slow because of the ash. plus it seems to burn faster than the lump.
  • mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    Options
    the bag is open!! from what i read i guess i could use it in my small to sear steaks!! but do i mix in regular lump with it? plus how would i light the briquettes since i can not use lighter fluid in the egg?
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Briquettes will light with any method you light your lump with. -RP
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Mike,

Bust out the old weber kettle and fire it up...you should be able use it for something like burning off the gunk from some of your BGE grates or the platesetter, or even season some cast iron stuff you may have.

Or...you could cook something on the old grill! Nah...forget I said that ;)
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    YEH! Got some RO on sale last year and then got smarter and bought a few bags of Rancher. When I use the large or small, I just toss a couple of handfuls into the regular BGE charcoal and over time 8 bags are now 3. Ash is a little proble even when doing 6 hour ribs on the large, but gets rid of inventory.
  • Scubadog
    Scubadog Posts: 100
    Options
    I keep a few cheap bags of cubes around to use on the old Weber for BBQ Oysters. Don't want the salt corrosion problems on my Egg.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Did these last year at Florida Eggfest.

Appetizer, Lobsterman's Oyster Shooters

On a recent trip to Panama City, Fl., my friend and I were told about a great seafood restaurant (Shuckums), known for oysters, while there enjoying the feast, I commented to the bartender that the sauce was great and might be good on BBQ ribs and was wondering what was in it. She was not sure, but said that a coworker might know and a few minutes later a man appeared who turned out to be one of the owners and had been there 25 years. After some friendly visiting he shared this cocktail sauce with us.

Ingredients :
    2 oz Shot Glass
    1 whole Oyster, cooked or raw
    Squirt of Cocktail Sauce (recipe follows)
    1/2 oz of your favorite Bloody Mary Mix (I used Zing Zang)
    Squeeze of Lemon Juice
    Shot of your favorite Vodka
    Cocktail Sauce
    48 oz Ketchup
    4 oz Lemon Juice
    4 oz Louisiana Hot Sauce
    7 oz Red Wine Vinegar
    2/3 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
    2 oz ground Black Pepper
    4 oz fresh ground Horseradish
    4 Ozs. Worchestershire Sauce
    Mix all together.
    Makes a little over 1/2 gallon and will keep in the refrigerator 6 months plus.

Preparation :
    1 Add all ingredients in the shot glass, then.........
    2 Down the hatch, no chewing!!

Recipe Type
    Appetizer

Recipe Source
    Author: Richard Howe (Richard)

Source: BGE Florida Eggfest '07, Richard