Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

anyone care to share???

Options
citychicken
citychicken Posts: 484
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
safely assuming that we all would rather learn from someone else's bonehead errors...

what is the stupidest thing you've done while cooking on the egg?

for example my girlfriend wanted to surprise me one day. she snuck over to my house wanting to prepare a meal on the egg. now this wasn't just any meal. it was the first time she would have cooked anything for me. btw, keep in mind, she never! ever! and i do mean never!!! bbq'd anything in her life whether it be on a gasser, hibachi, or an egg.

she did everything so perfectly!

oops... what we hadn't realized until after the salmon went on the egg is that the egg was pre-heated to to a dome of 375 celsius which is over 700 fahrenheit. she had read the celsius scale instead of the fahrenheit scale. needless to say the salmon was scorched but the rest of the evening was really perfect.

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    well when i got my egg i did not have a computer.... and bge was not providing the video on dvd format and i did not have a vcr.... so i had to leave the mothership armed with the manuel and the knowedge of what you had to set your vents to get 350 degrees.... so i go to the house and after some burgers i decided to make a steak.. well i read it in the manuel over and over... well i had to work at the nightclub that night and had gotten my shower and had went out to cook my steak wearing only my boxers.... forgot one important thing Flashback!!!!..........

so i burnt all of my chest hair, arm hair, some of my eyebrows, my eyelashes and a little of my hair on top of my head....... that was an important lesson i have never forgotten :whistle:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    I fired up my medium one afternoon for some burgers.When my wife got them ready,I went and threw them on.A buddy of mine stopped by,and we went to the barn and had a few beers.Then my phone rings.2 hours had passed by and forgot the burgers.I went to check them out,but they looked like charcoal.Wify wasn't very happy that night :angry:
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Good thing you had your boxers on.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Well.....there are a few.... :laugh: ...but if have to choose....it wolud be a HUGHE FLASHBACK AT 680°........and I still have my swollen left hand to prove it........´just after fixing my 3rd. Rumj & Coke....... :laugh:
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Well I hadda flashback story but after reading Bente's mine didnt seem so dumb!!! :laugh: :laugh: ..I guess my 2nd dumbest was my first pizza..made a huge pizza with homemade dough, sausage, pepperoni, cheese buncha stuff..thing musta weighed 3-5 lbs...I flopped it onto a really hot pizza stone that I forgot to put any corn meal on and wasnt using parchment paper at this time...it stuck bigtime to the stone..had to scrape it off..by the time I was done I had cheese and pie ingredients falling down into the pit and the pie looked more like a stromboli than a pizza..had to trash the whole thing!! :blink: :blink:
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    I cleaned out my ashes from the bottom onto my ash pan, A metal lid and set it on my box of new lump. It is, um was, a rubbermaid tote. Basted the meat, cheked the daisy wheel and bottom vent. gave it a minute to come back up to temp and went back inside. about 2 hours later I smelt plastic burning. followed my nose and the pan had melted the top to the tote and tipped the pan of warm ashes into the top of new lump and after it had melted out the side of the tote, provided it's self with quite a draft hole. it had dumped the now burning lump on to my wooden deck. GGGRRRR.... but at least I caught it. :blush:
    burnhole.jpg
    the second dumbest thing I did was waiting a year to get our first egg :S Julie
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    You get my vote!!

I thought burning the hair off my leg with a flashback thru the bottom vent was going to be a winner but I WAS MISTAKEN.
  • KC
    KC Posts: 91
    Options
    I have, what used to be, a very expensive fleece jacket that I was wearing when I unwisely opened the lid during a high temp cook.. :blush: That baby was singed from one end to the other and now feels like sandpaper... I still wear that jacket when I cook in cold weather... My wife refers to it as my "Smoking Jacket" :laugh:
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    haha!!..I have one of those too!! :laugh: :laugh:
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Mine just happened at the last super bowl party. Cooked for 85 on 3 larges and never took the last batch of chicken off.(never closed the vents either) Maintained temp and was at 250 the next morning when I cleaned up. So much food it wasnt missed & never said anything till now. :( :( . Gonna have to tell the wife now cause I know someone will bring it up at the Fla eggfest :angry:

Pat
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Hey poolman,I bet it feels good to get that off your chest. :laugh: I hope it doesn't keep you up at night.