Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt Gland

Options
Dale
Dale Posts: 41
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
There is apparently a rather disgusting gland inside port shoulder, which is only removed when the bone is. I fear I have been eating this thing, since I always use a bone in.
The following pics here are disturbing. Is this correct? Is this well know among you BBQ folks?

http://forum.cookshack.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2991028883/m/9951063983

Comments

• lowercasebill
    Options
    i cannot comment on the gland but in the first pic the thing being held up by the knife is an artery not a gland [or a vein for that matter]
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    http://www.tyson.com/Corporate/B2B/FreshMeats/Products/QualityPork.aspx

scroll down to supreme trim and they mention a gland

http://www.askthemeatman.com/variety_meats_-_liver,_tounge,_sweetbread.htm

i suspect this is the thymus gland and usually called sweetbread. as the above linked states no one bothers with pork sweetbreads

bill
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I think it was Alaskan C that paraphrased it perfectly....eeewwwwww!!!!!!!

Whats worse than finding the gland in a pork butt.........not finding it

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Hi Dale,
    I have never cooked a bone in sholder only boneless from Costco, but I'm betting that I have had some pulled pork from one at least a time or two in my life from resturants and I'm fat and happy with a happy doctor last visit!!!! Well she did tell me I should loose a few pounds. That darn PORK!!!! and Rum and Diet Coke!!!! :laugh: It looks ugly in the pictures but is mighty good on the bun.
    Pork the other white meat! ;)
    Happy Cooks, :P
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    dunno..I've cooked a lot of pork butts and never seen anything like that. I get them bone in from my butcher..either he is removing them or they are rendered out in the slow cook along with the fat...
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I guess that people cringe at things like glands (sweetbreads, mountain oysters, etc), but many people also love them. I do, for one.

Trust me it is only the idea that is bad, it cooks up and looks mostly like the meat of the animal it came from. That is why no one ever talks about finding a cooked one.

I also like heart and liver. :woohoo:
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Relax man. Often the gland is removed at the packing house, it's standard procedure. If it is not, it is generally something, along with all other discard that you will strip out when you pull the butt. However..... if you recall eating something with the texture of a chicken gizzard, you found it.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • easygoinjay
    Options
    The gland is not in the "Boston Butt" bone in roasts that most of us are purchasing. Sadly, there is not much standardization in labeling. It can sometimes be in the picnic or in a blade roast, but is usually removed when butchering. You're most likely not eating it if you're buying Boston Butt. Of course, it is edible. Maybe even tasty.

I might have had one when I ccoked a whole pig for one of my 2 luaus. I didn't do much butchering for that. But I digress.

Ever eat a hot dog? You've had worse than a thymus gland anyway. Enjoy your pulled pork, carnivores.