Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Happy Holiday!

RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
… At least if you live in Cleveland. Today is the Tribe’s Home Opener. I do not have tickets for the game, but I will walk down to the Jake for a Hot Dog. It is raining, but no one seems to mind. I am really excited. It always a good sign when the Boys of Summer return.[p]Just to keep this somewhat on topic, this month's Cooks Illustrated is just plain great. It has articles on grilling Pork Chops and cutting and tying different cuts of meat. It is one of the better issues that I have seen in a while.[p]GO TRIBE!!!!!!!!
RhumAndJerk[p]

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Ride on brother! I will be enjoying the game from the comfort and convenience of my favorite sofa.[p]Ditto on the new Cook's Illustrated. I made the Greek-style lemon and garlic potatoes to go with my turbo Egg burger last evening. Great burger, but the spuds were just so so.[p]K~G

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    RhumAndJerk,
    I agree about the Cook's Illustrated issue. I tried the recipe for the Greek garlic and lemon fried potatoes...I served it with last night's butterflied chicken and it was a great success. HOWEVER, did you notice the article about charcoal grills? All metal, every freakin' one of them. Could you believe there wasn't even a whisper about ceramic? I'm hoping there will be more interest in the ceramic side of outdoor cooking, and it would be nice to see the BGE and others mentioned in such a publication.
    Cheers,
    G.

• Gretl
    KennyG,
    Mine were wonderful. So there! ;-)

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    The Tribe beat Minnesota by a score of 9 to 5. Heeeeeeeee.
    Division Rivalries are important even in the second week of the season.[p]Now go out there and grill something on the Egg.
    RhumAndJerk

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Gretl,[p]Congrats hehehe In all fairness to the magazine, I didn't have the best of ingredients available. Just plain, small Idaho potatoes, old garlic cloves, and the last of my supermarket dried oregano. The recipe looks too good not to give it another try with better quality fixins'[p]K~G

• Gretl
    KennyG,
    I didn't have fresh oregano, but I did have fresh rosemary which in my opinion really made it even better (IMHO) than with the oregano. Fresh garlic, though, and gold potatoes. One thing that is necessary is that you have only one layer of potatoes in the skillet. This is a pain, because we want more potatoes than can fit in my biggest skillet. I'm going to try the recipe next time in two batches, removing the first batch to paper towels after they've browned, browning a second batch, and then finishing both batches together with the lemon/garlic/olive oil mixture before serving. This should work, I think. Man, it's a great way to fix potatoes.
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• KennyG,
    Can you please post the recipe for these potatos? We are doing ribs tonight, and these sound like they would go good with them. Thanks!

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    nikkig@hotmail.com, don't know if this exactly the one Gretl and KennyG tried but here is one:
    Greek Style Roast Potatoes
    Serves 6-8
    12 Peeled and chopped potatoes
    4-5 Lemons
    2-3 cups Chicken broth
    1/4 cup Shortening
    Olive oil
    Garlic (fresh or powdered)
    Oregano
    Salt
    Pepper
    Wash the potatoes. Cut into quarters lengthwise, and place in a large and deep enough baking pan. Sprinkle or lightly brush the potatoes with olive oil. Put the chicken broth in the pan, add the juice from 3 lemons and top off to about 1cm deep with water if needed. Season the potatoes with salt, pepper, orgenano, and finely chopped garlic or garlic powder. Turn the potatoes over and repeat the seasoning. Cut 1/4 cup of shortening (or lard) into 1/2 in. by 1/2 in. cubes and distribute evenly amongst the potatoes. Cover the pan and place in the oven at 375 degrees for about 30-40 minutes or until the potatoes are tender inside. Uncover the potatoes and broil for a short while to brown and crips them as desired. Squeeze a lemon or two over them.[p]

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Wise One,
    Thanks, these sound good, I will give them a try sometime. I would do them tonight, but don't feel like running to the store for ingredients. Guess it's back to just garlic baby reds instead.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    nikkig, here's another oin ethat looks a little simpler:
    Greek Potatoes
    Categories: Vegetables [p]Yield: 6 servings [p]Ingredients
    6 md Potatoes, cubed
    1/2 c Fresh lemon juice
    1 tb Olive oil
    2 ts Salt
    Chopped fresh parsley
    1/3 c Vegetable oil
    1/2 ts Black pepper
    1 1/2 ts Dried oregano
    3 c Hot water
    2 ea Gralic cloves, pressed [p]Instructions
    Toss potatoes with lemon juice, oils, spices & garlic in a deep flat pan. Add water. Bake uncovered for 1 1/2 hours at 475F. Stir every 20 minutes. Add more water if necessary. Allow the potatoes to evaporate the water during the last 20 minutes till only the oil is left. Garnish with parsley & serve.[p]"New Recipes From Moosewood Restaurant"
    [p]