Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked cheese

Options
"Sparky"
"Sparky" Posts: 6,024
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any tips on setting up my small egg at 80 degrees to smoke cheese?I know that Bill did it the other day and it looked great.I have never tried to get the temp that low before.How long does it take? :)

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    This should steer you in the right direction. You'll have to, obviously, make some adjustments for the small :
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/archives/2007/messages/446617.htm
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    smokedcheese.jpg

In addition to what egret showed us in his post, I did a web page based on what he taught us. (He forgot to tell my friend about wrapping it before putting it in the fridge, lol!) Here's a link:

Smoking Cheese
    The Naked Whiz
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    Thanks egret,that was very helpful.I may need to do it in my medium,since that's the only plate setter that I have right now.Does the ice last the whole hour or do you need to add more?
  • egret
    Options
    Hey Doug,
    Did you ever get your wife's refrigerator squared away, what with the smell and all??! :woohoo:
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    Thank you Whiz,I can't wait to try it. :)
  • egret
    Options
    No, it'll last for an hour or more. It would be easier for you to do on the medium, but, it certainly can be done on the small with a reasonable indirect setup......
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    egret has posted on this and the naked whiz probably has instructions. some one will chime in with a link . i did it on the mini just to prove that i could do it . regardless you want indirect with a tub of ice below the cheese or the chhese on top of the ice in a water proof boat .it was cold here saturday and that helps. instructions as i remember call for 6 briquettes in the very botton of the large egg with 1/4 in. thick pieces of smoke wood on top . i used three briquettes in the mini and would guess 4 on the small . i did about an hour. wrap or zip lock the cheese for a day to let it mellow and to protect your fridge . one of our more famous members stunk up his new fridge , much to the consternation of "the wife who" and although i am long divorced from 'the wife who did not" i was careful to ziplock the cheese, it did not get dark like store bought but had enough smoke flavor. i tried to use coals from the fire place and that did not work and others have posted that lump did not work either. use fully ashed briquettes . i took some cheese into work it was a big hit i will not be such a mini moron next time and i will do a lot on the large.
  • Smoking Bulldawg
    Options
    We love cheese here, so I will add this my list of thing s to try!
  • egret
    Options
    You're missing one of the most incredible treats that ever came off a BGE if you don't try it! Just follow the tute Whiz put on his web site and you're all set......
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    I'm lucky,I have a separate fridge out in the barn to stink up.I store my meat and beer there.Shushhhhh,she'll never know. :laugh: I think I have what I need to do it on the medium.Thank you Bill,that cheese looked great. :)
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    it was i made buck board bacon weekend before. heated up the bacon in a pan put a piece of smoked cheese on top of the hot bacon and served on a thin slice of french bread with yuengling porter.
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    I need to get off this computer and fire up the egg. :laugh: Cheese and buck board sound really good right now.
  • Longknocker
    Options
    I did some smoked swiss cheese today on my small Egg. I used my own modified variation on how to do it.
    First it helps if the outside temp is 10 degrees like it was here today. I didn't use briquet's like suggested as I think they stink :sick: ! I cleaned out all of the old lump but saved and used (6 or 7- 1/4" X 1" X 3 of the smaller thinner pieces of it. I made a little teepe on the fire grate with that used lump and then put a couple thin small pieces of apple wood on top after starting the lump with a mapp torch. I then installed the platesetter legs up, then the grate and cheese on the grate. I did not use any ice. Bottom vent wide open with the daisy wheel slider closed but the smaller vets open all the way. Temperature never got over 80°. After about 20 minutes the smoke cleared completely so I added a few more pieces of apple wood. The total smoking time was about 40 minutes.
    This stuff is good!
  • BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Options
    Here is my post from awhile ago showing how I smoked cheese. You could use a styro cooler or a cardboard box in place of the second BGE.

Cheers!

http://www.eggheadforum.com/archives//2006/messages/301981.htm
    I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Followed TNW instructions yesterday and smoked some Monterrey Jack, Swiss, and Cheddar. TNW site is kinda vague on the part about smelling up the fridge - not! Only 42 warnings :woohoo: . I vacuum packed the cheese and then put it in a zip lock. Kind of like what Justin Wilson used to say - I wear suspenders and a belt to be extra sure .....
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Ummmm,that was a friend's refrigerator. Yeah, that's it, remember? It wasn't mine. :-) My friend bought some $10 activated charcoal air filter material for one of those air cleaners, cut it in half and sort of bunched it up and put it in the fridge. Within a couple of days, the smell was almost gone. Whew!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    We have done this twice, smoking cheese, not trying to destroy the new frig :evil: , and just loved it. we did use lump the second time and it worked just fine for us and we like the taste MUCH better. Had no trouble with is staying going and smoking. maybe it was in our heads but we could taste the briquet's in the first batch and we let them go to get clear smoke. Did it as Christmas gift and everyone wants to know if they have to wait till next Christmas for more! LOL Julie
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    That's been my question the whole time, do you add extra chips after the smoke clears. Since I can't chop my chips, I must use those packaged for us and sold by our dealers. They just don't last long as they are 25 cents 1/16" thickness or there abouts. If we can't have 1/4 inch thick chips what do we use or how do we use the commercial chips?
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    BeerMike, that is amazing. Now all I need is that second egg. Quite original.