Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hello Friends - Catching Up . . .

TRex
TRex Posts: 2,714
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It's been a while for me - very busy time of year at school, but we got a long weekend for President's Day so I trekked down to Augusta to have guys' weekend with my dad (mom is out of town). By the way, some wonderful looking cooks share on this forum here lately!! You guys have been killing me with some killer pics!

Friday night we cooked some huge ribeyes - we were so hungry though that I took no pics - sorry.

Last night my dad wanted to do his Italian marinara "quick sauce," (as opposed to the longer version that simmers for 3 - 4 hours). So I decided to venture out into uncharted territory and do some homemade french bread (inspired by Bente, as of late).

This is the recipe I used, just found by Googling "french bread recipe." It seemed simple so I gave it a shot.

In short, you first make a sponge using half the dry ingredients to all the wet ingredients, let rise for 3 hours, fold in remaining dry ingredients, knead for 10 minutes, let rise for 1 more hour, knead again for 5 - 8 minutes, then form into baguettes and bake in 425 degree oven for 25 minutes (it took about 30 to get doneness temp inside). Also, I used ice on a tray on the bottom rack of the oven for steam and I did an egg wash on the baguettes prior to baking to enhance the color.

Now for some pics:

The baguettes ready to be baked:

french_bread_4_web.jpg

In the oven:

french_bread_3_web.jpg

Meanwhile, my dad's sauce going on the stove:

italian_night_3_web.jpg

Bread done:

french_bread_1_web.jpg

Perfect texture, crust, and interior - dad and I were very pleased:

french_bread_2_web.jpg

The meal - delicious!

italian_night_1_web.jpg

Oh, and here's a 1/3 whole wheat no knead loaf I did about a week ago - just thought I'd post this pic as well because it turned out really nicely - lately, I've been extending the covered baking time and decreasing the uncovered baking time and I like the crust results better.

3rd_wwnk_1_web.jpg

We have some more no knead finishing its final rise that we'll bake this morning, then contemplating doing some beef ribs on the Egg tonight - I may be popping back in for some pointers on beef ribs - never done them before.

Cheers!

TRex

Comments

• Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Great looking stuff TRex!..looks like you an 'the ol man' ate well with mom gone!! B) I have not done bread..I love it..but have been trying not to eat it to keep the carbs in check a lil bit ...but I sure enjoy lookin at the pix of it!..
  • wow!!!! that all looks great. since i smoked cheese yesterday i guess i better get on the bread wagon.
    i found beef ribs take a long time and mak e lots of grease. i like beef with salt pepper and hickory no sauce they were great but the thicker ones were a bit chewy. did them on the mini for 5 hours. 6 would have been better. good luck
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Hi JF,

Glad to see that you're back! Bread and spaghetti look great. I really like the artisan-look of the breads...much more appealing than the usual grocery store stuff. Good luck with the beef ribs today...I tried to do some finger ribs, and they didn't turn out quite as nice as the bones from the prime ribs I did last year. Nonetheless, a welcome treat from the "usual" suspects cooked up on the eggs.

Have a great holiday weekend!
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Looks great. Glad you got to spend some quality time with your dad.

Pat
  • Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    Looks Yummy-Can you post the sauce recipe sometime of your dad's?
  • Looks like you are catching up on several levels - NICE!
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    thanks for mentioning me but i just think we have the same "homemade bread appetite" :silly: :lol:

i will try the bread today i already have everything (except the water) ready to go will start around 12-1 oh well. did you see the herb garlic bread i did friday it was awesome you have to try it
    bread003.jpg

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Really nice baking you do. Thanks for the pic's.

I've been working almost 7 days a week so not much time to post on the forum but I check in just about everyday to see what's going on. Yesterday I fired up the egg for two chickens and then a big sirloin tip roast, no pic's because it's just the usual stuff.
    Back to bread....I gotta make some soon. I just bought a meat slicer and the directions says I can slice bread with it.....more incentive right there to get baking.
    Clay
  • My son needs some baguettes to go with the pit beef I made on Friday. He loves making French Dip with that stuff. Beautiful bread!