Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do I cook this!

Options
Warthog
Warthog Posts: 84
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, time to reach out, again, to the masses and get your input on the best way to cook a beef chuck cross rib roast. This was originally destined for the crock pot, and then I saw it, and said, "wait! let me see what the forum says". So, my question is, could this be turned into a poor man's brisket? If I do a low and slow, I am figuring 225 dome and wait until the probe hits 200 in the meat, what am I going to end up with?

Thanx in advance,

Warthog

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    it sounds to me like you will get pulled beef. i am not sure but i have had something similar. i rubbed it with mustard (yes the cheap yellow stuff) and then added my beef rub. put it on the egg with a little cherry wood indirect. i pulled it at 175 and sliced it thick for a roast beef. but if yoju run it to 200 i would make sure to let it rest in a cooler for an hour or three. in some towels. mix in your favorite bbq sauce slap some pickels on a bun with the beef and chow down

DSCN0305.jpg
    these were two diffrent ones done the same way
    DSCN0307.jpg

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Warthog
    Options
    That is what I was hoping you would say! Although, If I pulled it at 175 and slice it thin, I may be able to pull off a version of italian beef. Either way, I think it is going to end up on a bun!

Your input is very much appreciated

Thanks,
    Warthog
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i used a beef eye round for itialian beef

superbowl08002.jpg

but yea you are right on a bun the better the bun the better the sandwitch :laugh:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Warthog
    Options
    Thanks Bente! Piece of cake! Now I can start taking picts of the cooks and get em on here. The instructions are idiot proof!
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    I cooked one last week. It was OK, but it tends to dry out easily. Make it spend some time in foil with liquid during the slow cook. I didn't foil mine early enough. It reached a plateau at around 160°. Mine even backed itself down to around 156° during a surprisingly long dwell. I pulled it at 200°, but I think Bente's target temp would be better...or maybe somewhere in between.

John, somehow you didn't get your picture sized to 800 x 600, so it doesn't show up in the wide view. But I could see it when I changed to narrow view. Cute little girl, and I know a good place for that pulled beef and bun.