Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cleaning older egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have the older lever controlled egg and it appears that something is peeling on the sides of the egg. I am not sure if it is ceramic layers peeling off or if it is smoke build up that is peeling. I am having a problem with ashy tasting food even when I have cleaned out the ashes as well as I can. I can't get to some of the ashes. My wife says she doesn't like the steaks off of the egg anymore. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Just curious... How old is your EGG? Have you talked to the folks in ATL about the problem? Sounds like a "fatal" flaw, similar to what can happen with MS Windows. Did you get a life-time warantee back then? Hope you get a recovery fix! I, for one, will stay tuned!

Rascal
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Your question seems a little vague and I would assume that it is on the inside of the egg.When was the last time you did a high temp cook?Usually that keeps the inside walls of the egg clean.The only thing I can think of that would cause that issue is that you cook a lot of high fat content or mixture of whatever that is causing a build up on the inside walls.Get your putty knife or any handy scraper you have around the house and scrape as much off of it as you can.Then put a load of lump in and get the temp to 500 degrees and let it burn off in about one hour.
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Remove the fire ring, and the firebox.

Check behind/under these components, and clear the thing out.

Do a hi-temp burn for an hour, and then clean it out again.

Are you sure you have an Egg? Or is it something that looks like an Egg?

~ B
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    Based on his post, the odds are he does have an egg. The lever he described was a major change from the old hinge, before the spring hinge came into existence.
    I would suggest that he do do as you said. Make's sense. The peeling on the shell, I don't understand however. My original egg is from that era; never peeled.
    Hammer
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Mitch, I agree with your take. BTW my large that I purchased in 2000 had the trip lever type and my medium purchased in 2002 also had that mechanism, so his egg is hardly a relic from dinosaur days! I have since switched to the spring band on my large and small, but not for the medium. Ain't broke don't fix it mentality here!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Sorry it took me four days to respond to your e-mail. Work is still crazy but I'm taking the night off trying to get back to normal.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Jaybird,[p]There are some great responses to your post that can only be seen from the new, beta forum. Folks can see your posts from there, but you can't see theirs from here. Just scroll up and click on the arrow to get there.

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    Ron,
    A mutual friend of ours re; Baby Ray I believe still has a lever on his egg. I still have one that I used before I put the spring hinge on. I kinda liked it, but you sure could bend it, if you wasn't careful. Plus folks were looking for concenience, so the change.
    Mitch