Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite All Purpose Seasoning

Options
carpetman
carpetman Posts: 95
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Everyone has that one seasoning they put on everything - What is yours? I use Angelo's Steak House seasoningon almost all meats & veggies I cook.

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Sorry to disagree but I have more than wife cares to store. Argue that they are all recipe specific. I guess answer is I have alot of Favorites depending on the cook.
    Still waiting to place my first DP order but think I have to add on to the kitchen first.
    Sorry to cloud the water but I am what she tells me I am. ;););)
    OK one fav is montreal steak but dont tell the wife or it will limit my storage area to less than 4 cabinets. :whistle:
  • carpetman
    Options
    I have a a ton of seasoning too. However, I always seem to sneak a little Angelos on everything. The DP Seasoning are very good.
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    I use a lot of different seasonings; not one particular.
    I use mainly DP. By limiting my self to just one, I would have to say coarse black pepper; but hell I'm only going to go around once so why limit my self.
    Hammer
  • carpetman
    Options
    Aside from Salt & Pepper, Garlic, etc. - what is your favorite? For example - a marketed seasoning like Adobe, Cavenders, etc.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Lemon Pepper...
  • carpetman
    Options
    I Love it - also try the Lime Pepper - Eggcellent.
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    I've tried the ones you mentioned among others. No one particular stands out as the all purpose seasoning. Thus the reason I use the different seasonings from DP.
    In my case one seasoning,marketed brand or type doesn't fit all my requirements.
    This might not be what you are looking for; but that's the facts as I know it.
    Hammer
  • Bad Byron's Butt Rub
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Guess mine is the first one I made after getting an egg..the first thing I wanted to do was burn a pork butt..I made up some of Elder Ward's butt rub and now keep it pre-mixed and as a staple in the spice cabinet and use it on everything from salad to pork butt...I've made some mods to it over time, but basically it is still the same rub..my second favorite is John Henry's Pecan..just placed my first ever DP order today for Dizzy Dust Coarse, Cow Lick, and Swamp Venom...looking forward to trying those!
  • Emarf
    Emarf Posts: 167
    Options
    a marketed seasoning I use a lot would be Everglades Cactus Dust I hate to say I haven't used any of the DP brand
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I held off a long time before putting in a DP order. I got 5 different selectios and samples of the remaining.

I cooked some wings with Swamp Venom and some with Jamiacn Firewalk. After pulling I didn't keep them straight to sample the flavors. Both were great and now I have to do another test to see which was which.

Some ribs last night with a heavy covering of Dizzy Dust. These turned out great,

Hopefully some day I will sort all these out to a few flavors.

I'm glad I got the DP rubs.

GG
  • Keith W
    Options
    It's not an all purpose seasoning, but kick'n chicken (from weber) is delicious on chicken! You can get it at Wally World. It is absolutely "fantabulous" on spatchcock and chicken pieces. Of course all the DP rubs are excellent on anything.
  • Austin Smoker
    Options
    All Purpose? I've been a Cavender's Greek Seasoning fan for years - works on everything from scambled eggs to Filet Mignon.

I have yet to try the DP blends, but after everything I've read....I'm gonna place my first.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Lime Pepper? First time I've heard of that. Where to buy?
  • carpetman
    Options
    I had my local "small town" grocery store order it. Isaw in a recipe several years ago.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    For general purposes I like Paula Deen's "House Seasoning" (1 cup coarse salt, 1/4 cup ground black pepper, 1/4 cup garlic powder).

Rascal
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    I use a modified Dr. BBQ's Big Time Rub.... I use less salt and no heat. Works on just about everything. Also have most all of the DP flavors too.
    Mike
  • Eggweiser
    Options
    All of the DP'S are good If I hade to pick one it would Be Swamp Venom. Bad Byrons butt rub is good on everything Egg'ed or not. I put it on everything. Popcorn, Peanuts, Salad, Eggs, chipps, Tater Tots. It is good on everyhing.
  • Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    Options
  • Smokin' Lady
    Options
    Would have to say the one I end of using a lot of is DP Shakin' the Tree. Love it in any veggie dish, scrambled eggs, cream soups, etc. Made some buttermilk "fried" chicken on the egg a few nights ago with some added to the batter, and it was scrumptious. Also use Tsunami Spin quite a bit.