Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What do you do with left overs from St Louis style

Options
tomo
tomo Posts: 78
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have never done it, but I am about to try making ribs St. Louis style. My question Is: What do you do with the trimmings? It should be interesting. Thanks....tom

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    I like to cut the meat and fat off and run it through the grinder for sausage. My favorite, and easiest, way is to form into patties after seasoning.

Makes some of the best sausage ya ever had.
    Cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I've made chile with them, put the meat in a large pot with some chicken broth and simmer it until it falls off the bone. Then add in the chile powders and seasonings, good stuff. BTW, I just sent you an email and had it bounce back, then saw the nospam in your addy, hopefully you got the second one. -RP
  • BamaBackdraft
    Options
    I trim off as much fat as possible. Let it "cure" in a heavy coat of rub and some cajun spice for a couple of days(3-5) bagged up in the fridge, turning in the bag everyday. Then smoke it indirect to dry it out a little more than I would ribs. Makes a Tasso like seasoning meat that is good in just about everything! Vacumn seal it in small batches and freeze it.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    Cut them up and throw them in when you make baked beens.

A lot of people make "Burnt Ends" with them. I have never done it but I am sure you can get a recipe for them from some of the ol' Pros here on the forum.
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    RibTrimmings2-1.jpg

We'll freeze them for another time and then cook them indirect like regular spares. I tend to go a little hotter... around 285 and flip a couple/few times an hour for about 4 hours. They'll cook faster than spares and they eat just as good.... WooKitties likes them better than spares.

June172007.jpg

Or you can cook them along with your trimmed spares and have as an appetizer while the spares are finishing.

Or you can use them to make this fantastic stew. Here's a link to the recipe posted on the bbq forum a while back.... Good Luck!

john

http://www.rbjb.com/rbjb/archives/608065/messages/607360.html
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I cook them in a mix that reduces down to a thick glaze in the wok. Sticky and finger-lickin' good! I posted the recipe a few weeks ago so it might come up on a search. Otherwise I'll repost it when I have the time.

Rascal
  • Kew_el_steve
    Options
    Grind and either make meatloaf, sausage patties, or my favorite: chorizo.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Some call it the chef's delight. But since it cooks a little faster than the slab, I always use them for family health protection. I figure if I can eat them while I'm out there tending the main cook, and take enough time to get rid of all the evidence that they ever existed, and I can make it back into the kitchen without getting sick or dying, then my family is safe.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Is thisa the one?

Pork, Ribs, Spare Ribs In The Wok, Rascal

Here's a dish that I've been making for years:

Ingredients:
    1 lb spare rib tips cut into individual pieces
    1 med-lg onion, sliced thin
    1/2 cup soy sauce (I use low sodium)
    1/4 cup sugar
    3 lg garlic cloves, minced
    1 Tbs hoisin sauce
    3-4 Tbs canola oil
    3 cups water (aprox)

Method:
    1 Heat the oil and brown the rib pieces. Add the onion and sautee until translucent. Stir in the garlic & cook briefly. Add the remaining ingredients and enough water to cover all. Stir to combine and bring to a low boil over moderate heat. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered for about 3 hours until the pork bits are covered with a thick glaze, stirring ocassionally and scraping down the sides of the wok as needed. This dish can be made ahead of time and kept on hold in a warm oven. Serve with white rice or anything that would go with sticky pork.
    Notes:
    1 This basic recipe does not render a lot of pork, so you will most likely want to multiply it a few times or more... I usually can find the rib tips in the supermarket and I believe they are the leftovers from a St. Louis style cut. As an alternative, you could have your butcher cut a rack of ribs into 1-1.5 inch pieces, or, you could buy boneless (county style) ribs and cut them into bite size pieces yourself. The latter might be a better party option as you won't have to worry about your guests disposing of, or possibly experiencing an inconvenient encounter with a bone. In any event, happy Super Bowl XLII!
    2 Rascal

Recipe Type
    Appetizer, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Rascal, 2008/02/02
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    These are all good ideas and great sounding recipes (I copied and pasted most of em into a word file)....but.....WHAT LEFTOVERS?? :blink: :blink: :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • tomo
    tomo Posts: 78
    Options
    Wow!!! A great bunch of replies. I can hardly wait to start cooking. Thank you all.

Randy I got your email. Thanks for your help....tom