Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon Cakes??

Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Gonna try the pan fried salmon cakes recipe from the Cooks Illustrated Jan/Feb 2000 issue. Sounds great, and I figured if it turns out, there are lots of ways to get the egg into the picture. Either by slow smoking the slamon first before chopping up. Or maybe even sauteeing in an open cast iron skillet over alder smoke.[p]Anyone tried that recipe yet??? Suggestions??[p]NB
DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Mary
    Mary Posts: 190
    Nature Boy,
    i would try anything that is baked in the same sort of pan (cast iron skillet would work fine) over firebricks - firebricks create an oven chamber. Heat the egg to the recipe baking/roasting temps and see how it goes.[p]Mary

• Nature Boy
    Mary,
    I am gonna try it tonight, and see how it goes on the stove. Next time I might egg/fry it. I think the egg contribution would be biggest by smoking the salmon (even cold smoking), then after it cools, cut it up and mix with the other ingredients. Bread it, and fry on the stove. Smoked Salmon Cakes. yum.[p]Do you think you could safely fry in oil on the egg in cast iron?? It is nice to cook fish outside to cut down on the smell in the house.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Nature Boy,
    SAFETY ALERT! SAFRETY ALRET!!
    Are you nuts? Boil oil in the egg! I hope that you have a fire extinguisher handy.[p]Just kidding.[p]Well actually, if you used your Cast Iron Dutch oven with a thinner layer of oil in the bottom you should be fine. When I help my wife’s grandmother fry chicken, she uses a large soup pot on the stovetop and the same amount of oil that you put in a skillet. It contains any bouncing oil very well.[p]Make sure that you watch the oil temperature.[p]Go for it and let us know the results[p]RhumAndJerk[p]

• Lee2
    Lee2 Posts: 38
    Nature Boy,
    I've been intending to make a salmon loaf and bake it in the Egg but haven't gotten around to it yet. It will be interesting to learn how your salmon patties work out.

• Nature Boy
    Lee2,
    My initial test of the salmon cakes were excellent. I think Cook's Illustrated did a nice job of researching binders, and cooking techniques to come up with the perfect salmon cake. Kind of like a croquet, it is made with finely chopped salmon, onion, bread, mayonaise, fresh parsley, lemon juice, and salt. (oh yeah, and I threw in a teaspoon of dijon mustard cuz I always have to muck with a recipe).[p] Patties are formed and coated with flour, dipped in an egg bath, then breadcrumbs. Fried in oil in cast iron, they come out crunchy on the outside, moist on the inside. Kids liked them too. Served with a lemon mayo sauce, with salt, fresh parsley, fresh thyme.[p]Anyway, now that I know the recipe works, I will try it with cool-smoked salmon, but cook patties on the stovetop. They fried up so nicely, I wouldn't want to mess that part up, but the smoke flavor in the salmon would really add a nice touch[p]Good stuff, and a nice change. [p]NB[p]

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy,
    We've had the Salmon Cakes twice now...both times excellent.
    Haven't modified the recipe yet...but I'll try anything once . Each time, we had at least two patties left over and found the they can be nuked we great results for a quick snack or another meal. I even had one with some eggs for breakfast.
    Anyway...great recipe and I'm looking forward to see what others have to say to enhance the recipe.[p]Andy(Q'ing in PA)

• Q'ing in PA,[p]Your post reminded me of one of my all-time fav breakfasts. Eggs benedict without egg. Instead use a crabcake (and I'm sure a good salmon cake would work just as well) and a fresh slice of tomato on the English muffin with hollindaise applied liberally. Yum!
  • Nature Boy
    Seattle Todd,
    Wow, that sounds good. Guess what?? It's almost time for breakfast, and i have 2 and a half patties left.[p]Yeeeeeeeeee Ha!
    Thanks.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Nature Boy,
    We haven't tried the Cook's recipe but we did make Gretl's Salmon with Dijon and Bourbon (see link). We used the leftovers to make some salmon cakes that were really excellent. They had a light, smoky taste that was quite pleasing. I will post the recipe for the cakes.
    JimW

[ul][li]Salmon with Dijon and Bourbon[/ul]
  • Mary
    Mary Posts: 190
    Nature Boy,
    I'm not a fan of boiling in oil, so I never cook that way. you can certainly put a little oil in the CI frypan and cook that way. I'd be careful not to burn the bottoms if you do direct heat tho.[p]Mary

• Eponda
    Eponda Posts: 21
    Nature Boy,You could try the pan searing/finishing in oven technique. Lightly oil the fish fillets, heat the skillet to very hot on the stove, sear fish on each side for 1 minute, and then put skillet and all in 400 degree egg for 10 minutes. Throw some alder chips on the fire for a smokey flavor. Or just smoke cook the fish before proceeding with the recipe.

• Nature Boy
    JimW,
    Sounds great. I would like to see your recipe and see how it compares with cooks. I think we will do these again. [p]Thanks
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Eponda,
    A great idea. Chefs cook like that all the time. I never have, because I just got my cast iron stuff a few months back, and had forgotten about that technique of searing on stove, and popping in oven (or egg).[p]Would work also well with fish that might be too soft to sear well on the egg. The fish cakes would probably not be crunchy if done this way, but would be a healthful alternative to cooking in oil.[p]Thanks for the ideas.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com