Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

jerking Spatchcock

Options
char buddy
char buddy Posts: 562
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
tried out a new jerk recipe (from David Rosengarten's book TASTE).[p]Marinaded a butterflied chicken for two days in homemade jerk sauce. [p]Cooked the spatchcocked chicken low and slow (below 225º) for 4 hours until the thigh was 180º internal. [p]I cooked the chicken indirect - grill pan and firebricks underneath the chicken. [p]Results. Great combination - jerk sauce, butterflied chicken and low temps. The smokey taste lasts for hours on the tongue, but I didn't get a crust. Next time I'll cook direct skin side down the last hour. [p]CB

Comments

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
  • Marvin
    Options
  • Marvin
    Options
    char buddy,
    Just curious - what were the major components of the marinade? Wondering if marinating that long changed the texture of the meat.
    Regards,
    Marvin

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    char buddy,
    Sounds great and creative! But it can't touch the creativity displayed in the title of your post. LOL.[p]See you in a few weeks.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • char buddy
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]yeah, see you soon. [p]Maybe I'll jerk my butterflied chicken (spatchcock) at the fest...
  • char buddy
    Options
    Marvin,[p]I wondered the same thing myself. I did not brine or use buttermilk just to see if it changed the texture. As it turns out it did have the same texture as when I use that buttermilk goop - creamy. it did not have the texture and taste you get from brining - bright and clean. [p]the ingredient list includes lots of vegetable oil; rum, molasses and lime juice. The rest were aromatics - ginger, garlic, scallions, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, allspice, thyme, cinnamon and nutmeg. The scotch bonnets come in via a commercial hot pepper sauce of your own choosing.[p]hope that helps[p]CB
  • Marvin
    Options
    char buddy,
    Thanks for the details. I think that you might have just put to rest the belief that acids such as lime juice tend to cook the meat a bit, and using it a marinade for so long would spoil the meat. Apparantly, yours tasted great, and we all learned that marinating for 24-48 hours is not necessarily harmful
    Regards,
    Marvin

• char buddy
    Options
    Marvin,[p]Thanks for the good words. [p]If you have a chance, take a look at the cookbook I got it from - Taste by David Rosengarten. He talks about a lot about jerk and why he goes with a 48 hour marinade. If you try (or tried) a spatchcock at low temp, I'd like to hear what happened. [p]CB