Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Green Egg Start-up

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Start-up with paper is a slow process. An electric starter also leaves a bit to be desired. Only the tip reaches the charcoal below the nest causing only a portion of the the charcoal needed for
cooking temporatures... The answer is a old hairdryer.....use paper per instructions and open both vents 100%.. Using a dryer at full speed at the lower vent would give your temporatures of 350+ in about 2.5 minutes. In the process it will blow up some of the charcoal dust and give you a mini fireworks display. Caution, do not try this in your home or under a deck.....

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Charles E. Flinchbaugh,[p]I've been using webber fire starter cubes for the past three years and have been very happy with them. They are quick and easy![p]smokey.gif
  • Ca_rnivore
    Ca_rnivore Posts: 120
    Options
    Smokey,[p]Do you use a whole cube in the center of the egg, or multiple cubes scattered around it? I recently decided to try cutting a cube into quarters and starting 4 mini fires in the egg. I have no concrete proof, but it seems to give me a more even cooking temp at all points of the grill ie. my eggs hotspots are not as noticeable now. On my "not-green" ceramic cooker, building a good fire and getting it spread evenly in the fire box is the key to good results. This is probably true for the BGE as well.[p]Just curious,
    --Kevin

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    Charles E. Flinchbaugh,
    I've had great success with the electric starter from BGE.
    I put it in the middle of the old lump and pour some fresh lump on top of it and open the bottom vent all the way.
    Usually in 3-5 minutes I remove it, close the dome and open the daisy all the way. 10 or so minutes later I'm up in the 300 degree range or higher.
    B D

• Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    Options
    Smokey, I too use the Weber starter cubes. I use 3 scattered around so I can get a more even fire.
    They are not that expensive to use so I see no reason to try cutting them into smaller peices.[p] Marv

• char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Options
    Ca_rnivore,[p]When I want a low/slow fire, I just put one cube in the center on top.[p]For a barn burner I put two, maybe three cubes underneath the grate and light from below.[p]When I am in a hurry, I use a MAPP (gas) torch and light up several places on top. Gets you there (500º) in 10 mintues. [p]CB