Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

what kind of ribs?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to try to do ribs for the first time this weekend, and am off to the butcher tomorrow. What kind of ribs should I ask for, beef or pork, and should i ask the butcher to do anything to the ribs, ie. membrane, fat, etc... Thanks to all in advance.

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    SH:[p]Start off with pork ribs (spares or baby backs your choice), they are much more forgiving. If your butcher will remove the membrane for you that is even better.
    [/b]
  • Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    Seth Howard,
    Most prefer pork spare ribs only because there is more meat on them. I prefer NOT to remove the membrane from the back. I think they hold together better while cooking.
    When you rub them though, no need to waste rub on the membrane because it will not allow spices to penetrate to the meat. Just apply rub to the rest of the meaty parts and you will be fine.
    I have fixed ribs (in my catering business) both ways and even tried removing the membrane after cooking but have found it is really not necessary to obtain good flavor.[p] Good luck and please post your resluts.[p]Marv

• Butch M
    Butch M Posts: 52
    Seth Howard,
    I have tired both pork and beef, and they both turned out great. I usually buy them at our local grocery store, so the buther did not do anything special.

• Marv ,
    Do you have a rub that you reccomend?

• Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    Seth Howard, Until I came up with my own, I used 'Willie's number Wonderful Rub' from Smoke & Spice book.[p]Marv[p]check out my site