Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does egged chili...

GriffinGaDawg
GriffinGaDawg Posts: 332
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
really make that much difference? I've got a batch on the stove top now and thinking of sticking it on the egg.

Comments

• not unless you keep the top off the chili pot. you can use a few wood chips to add flavor too.
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Absolutely, it makes a difference with chili. As stated below, take the lid off and add a chunk of smoking wood. Every Hour or so, stir the film that accumulates on the top back into the chili. Also, on the half hours, add a little more chili powder. This will add a layered depth of flavor that I have not found by any other method. The complexity will astound you.

Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk
  • I leave the top off and don't add wood it gets enough smoke with the lump.
    My Best.
    Ross
  • oooh i like the add chili powder idea!
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I recently did a batch started on the stove and then placed in large with tjv spider ring low position. Also an inverted plate setter with a spacer between the setter and pot works. LEAVE the top off for better flavor.

Chili, Beef, Beans, Richard Fl

This recipe is a blend of different ones, from KennyG, Egret, Blue Smoke and The Skyline Chili Chain Miami, '70's and my own ideas.. Thanks to all.

INGREDIENTS:
    First Cook:
    3 1/4 Lbs Chuck, Ground Twice Course
    2 Lbs House Brand (Publix) Mild Sausage
    3/4 Lb Bacon, Thick Cut, Hormel, Black Label, Diced
    Second Cook:
    5 Cups Onions, White/Red, Chopped
    2 Cups Bell Peppers, Yellow, Chopped
    3 Tbs Garlic, Fresh Crushed
    Add Rest:
    2 1 3/8 Ozs Pkg Old El Paso Chili Seasoning
    1 12 Ozs Can La Costeña Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce, Pureed
    9 Cups Fresh, Tomatoes, Pureed
    1 28 Ozs Can Diced Tomatoes
    1 14 1/2 Ozs Can Diced Tomatoes
    1 10 Ozs Can Rotel, Hot
    2 4 1/2 Ozs Can Old El Paso Chopped Green Chili
    2 Tbs Indian River Pepper Blend
    2 Tbs Indian River Seasoning Salt
    1 Bunch Cilantro, Chopped
    2 Tbs Cocoa Powder, Hot, Godiva
    2 Tbs Cumin, Ground
    2 15 1/2 Ozs Can Red Kidney Beans, Habichuelas Colorado
    2 15 1/2 Ozs Can Pink Kidney Beans, Habichuelas Rosada
    1 Stick Butter
    2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 Cup Red Wine, Cabernet Sauvignon
    Use Broth if dry:
    2 14 Ozs Can Beef Broth, Swanson
    Smoke:
    Applewood Chunks & Hickory Chips
    Equiptment:
    9 Quart Dutch Oven

Procedure:
    1 Because of a time constraint the meat, and everything was done on the stove. After everything was in the DO and boiling, I placed in BGE.
    2 Take a 9 quart dutch oven and cook the beef, sausage and bacon in the pot stirring every 5-10 minutes, covered, about 25 minutes. When done, remove and drain.
    3 Take the onions, bell peppers and garlic and sauté until translucent.
    4 Add the tomatoes and remaining ingredients except beans and beef broth, and bring to a boil. Add the meat back into the pot and stir. Add the spices and stir until blended. Now add the beans, drained.
    5 The Large BGE had been set with a tjv spider, high position, direct and the temperature was 350°F. for the first hour. Then dropped to 275°F for the last 3 hours, It is still cooking 4 hours later. Maybe I will shut down the BGE after 6-7 hours and leave the dutch oven over night. Sounds like a plan! Had some applewood pieces and hickory chips for flavor.
    6 Been cooking for 4 hours and still going. Added the beef broth and liquid from the beans toward the end as I needed to keep the chili moist.
    7 After 6 1/2 hours on the BGE, I added a second can of beef broth, left the Dutch Oven on the BGE and shut the entire system down. Went to the SPA and decided I will deal with this situation in the AM. Good Night Richard. Just got up and checked the pot, still warm and the BEST chili I have made in 40+ years.
    8 Am serving with raspberry cornbread muffins.

Yield: 9 Quarts
    Preparation time: 1 hour
    Cooking time: 4 hours

Recipe Type
    Beef, Dutch Oven, Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2008/01/18

Had a few stray tamales from a cuban restaurant the other day, so I tossed them in to add flavor and thickness with the masa.
  • I usually do the browning of the meat on the egg as well, then add any of the veggies I want to soften, then bring it inside where I've got all the other ingredients ready to dump in. Much better flavour than the old chili I used to make. Egret's Cow Lickin' Chili is the only recipe I use any more.
  • Oh yeah, it makes a difference. That's the only way we cook chili now. Lately we have been alternating between Egret's chili and ChefRD's BBQ Chili. Both are outstanding.
    Larry
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.