Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help please! How to prepare woods

captglen
captglen Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to cook a 15lb turkey tomorrow and I bought some wood, Pecan and some Peach. I need help with the wood prep,do I soak in water? how do know when to put the food on? Etc..... Thank You for your help.

Comments

• ATX
    ATX Posts: 98
    You can soak overnight, although it's not necessary. Toss the wood chunks on the lump and let them burn for about 15-20 min. before you put the bird on. Key is to let the white colored acrid smoke burn off. You want your smoke to be almost translucent before you put the grub on. Good luck.
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    I used to soak the woods; however I do not. I now prepare the meat for cooking; toss in a couple of handfuls before I put the meat on. Put the meat on and cook until it's done.
    I use to spread the chunks or chips at different levels; however people more wise than me said that the meat only absorbs the smoke at the beginning of a cook. I take their word for it.
    Hammer
  • Poultry really picks up smoke, so you might want to go easy on the amount of wood you use. One or two fist sized chunks should do it. Be sure to let the bad smoke burn off a little before you put the bird on. Don't want any creasote, bitter taste from it. I've stopped soaking wood. I just throw it on top of the coals dry--right over the lighted part.

Happy Turkey.

Here's a great web site a lot of us use to cook a great Thanksgiving turkey, and about the best gravy you'll ever make!...

http://nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm

I actually think the gravy's better than the turkey!
  • The smoke flavor builds throughout the entire cook.
    The smoke ring stops forming at about 140*.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    those wise people are wrong....
    MichaelB is right!
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    My fault! Forgot what I was typing. My sincere apologies for this obvious mistake, and plain stupidity!
    Hammer