Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature Rings???

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Could the kind gent who makes the temperature rings please email me?
Thanks in advance.[p]Jolly Roger/Steve in KC/The Weatherman

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Jolly Roger, now that you've got my curiousity up; What is a "temperature ring"?

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Jolly Roger & Wise One,[p]Here is the link to the thread.[p]Spin
    [ul][li]Temperature Rings[/ul]
  • MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Wise One,[p]E-mail me and I'll give ya the scoop.[p]Not much on the menu for me this weekend. :([p]Too bizzy.[p]Reebs to ya![p]Mick[p]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Jolly Roger,[p]That would be MickeyT. I got one of his 12 sets of rings he sent out today. I am not sure what he wants us to say or not say about them and so I haven't taken any pics of them (11 disks) yet. It's an interesting idea and should work with a little trial and error to get use to using them instead of the chimney top.[p]Tim[p]
  • Mark G
    Mark G Posts: 39
    Wise One,[p]They are wooden discs with various sized holes. My set arrived today and I plan to tinker with them this weekend. I will post some pics and comments sunday evening after my lo-n-slo rib cook.[p]Mark
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    MickeyT.,[p]Received mine from Al, the UPS guy, today.
    Thanks man, for all the effort and excellent follow thru.

Wouldn't you know it's supposed to be very windy here tomorrow? This is what you designed them for, is it not?
    I think I'll start off using them with a 3-4 hour cook (maybe Cat's Ribs, maybe some goop?) and see what they're all about.
    The concept is clever & simple... looks like it will be a matter of matching up the appropriate diameter with the desired holding temperature.
    I'll give it a go and let you know![p]Cheers and Beers! (NB, is it ok to incessantly talk about beers now? Has Our Lady of Temperance and Mineral Water faded into the woodwork yet?)[p]WD

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Jolly Roger,
    Mine came today and The explanation he sent was pretty good. Looks like there will be another one of those pesky learning curve thisng I love soooo much! But, none the less, it sounded pretty trick ... I signed up and he sent...He aske for posts on our testing. Have "polite company" this weekend so Mr. Egg won't get any kind of workout.
    Note: My wife always asks me how work was and most evenings she'll ask later how the folks in the Cult are. Can you guess who she might be refering to ...anyone?

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Sundown,
    That is one understanding wife, in my opinion, she is a keeper.
    Happy Egg-n,
    A Cult Member.
    New Bob

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Sundown,
    but you haven't told her any of our cult's language or secret handshake have you? OoOoOoOo on the frim fram to ya, bro!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Tim M
    WooDoggies,[p]That was no lady. She has been known to blow her top on many forums. Beers to ya. [p]MickeyT suggested using the rings with beer, in the letter. I'll have to go buy some I guess. [p]BTW, I numbered mine 1-11 so I can keep track of which produced what temp, etc.[p]Tim
  • WooDoggies
    Tim M,[p]Damn good idea. Always smart to involve beer when experimenting with fire.
    Which ring did you start with when marking for # 1?...The biggest gap or the smallest? May as well make sure we are all talking the same language if we are going to get to the bottom of this.
    Mick, I will let you know.[p]WD[p]

• Boccie
    Boccie Posts: 186
    Do you have Egg Cult T-shirts? I want one, heh heh[p]
    -Boccie

• Boccie
    These temperature rings fit on the exhaust? Is this just a hassle free method of the Daisy Wheel/Dual Function Top?[p]*scratches head in confusion[p]
    -Boccie

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    RRP,[p]Although she has tried to find out the secret handshake and all the other stuff I have resisted!
    The Cult is Supreme!

• Tim M
    Boccie,[p]Picture a 3" round wood disk - like a LARGE rice cake (if you know what they are). Then he has a hole dead center. There are 11 disks with 11 different sized holes. You place #5 on the chimney top and it has a certain sized hole that restricts the top exhaust gases from leaving (like setting the daisy top to a setting). The advantage to MickeyT is that by placing the #5 on will give you a "known" dome temp. This will require trial & error (my main way of learning everything) to see what disk produces what dome temp.[p]I'll get around to taking a pic of them today or tomorrow. I have not tried mine yet.[p]Tim

• Tim M
    WooDoggies,[p]
    1 was the smallest [p]11 is the biggest opening[p]Tim

• Tim M, i numbered mine the same way - will test it this weekend on some burgers.

• Tim M
    Chef Arnoldi,[p]Keep track of what number gives you what temps. If we all do that we can flatten that darn learning curve. Maybe I will add a page to my website with a list to refer to.[p]Tim
  • Mark G
    Tim M,
    HOw open do you think the lower vent should be. Wouldn't this also change the final temp of each ring? Do we all need to be standardizing the lower vent opening?
    Mark

• Wise One
    Tim M, check also to see if the opening of the bottom vent has much effect on the temperature. Sounds like a great idea.

• Tim M
    Mark G,[p]The top is going to direct how much air can enter from below so make sure the lower vent is not "restricting" air - you want just the top to do that so the results with that opening will be constant (or as much as possible).[p]Lower vent really doesn't matter as long as it isn't restricting.[p]Tim

• Wise One
    Boccie, come to one of the Eggfests and you can have your very own Egg-cult shirts (or at least the closest I know of), And of course, the food is great and the comapny is even better.

• WooDoggies
    Tim M,[p]It might be a good idea to start with a standard bottom vent width... as there will be plenty of other variables at play like wind, type and amount of lump, desired temp and so on. May as well reduce the variables. Suggestions?
    Has anyone talked to Mick about this? Mick are you out there? Earth to Mick.[p]WD

• Boccie
    Wise One,[p]We are actually considering coming to the one this year. It sounds like a good time, just our type of thing. Don't know if we can make the whole weekend, maybe just the Saturday (?). We live about 5 hours away from where its being held.[p]Is there any detailed information about the events posted yet? It would be nice to at least be there when alot of cooking is going on. Would like to see and learn all I can.[p]That and get a Cult T-shirt too, lol (hope you have big sizes!) :-)[p]-Boccie
  • Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Boccie,
    This might be what you need to see.
    Painter

[ul][li]Waldorf Eggfest[/ul]
  • Boccie
    Painter,[p]Thank you, that helps alot![p]-Boccie

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    WooDoggies,[p]Sorry I missed your post. I fling the bottom vent wide open and let the rings do their thing. In the case of high winds I close the vent to 1/2" or so for over night cooks. [p]Earth to Mick signing off........................
  • Mark G
    MickeyT,
    Do you have any Ring size-Temp data you can add to the thread above where we are trying to compile temp data?
    BTW- I am have lots of fun with these. I might just burn through half a bag of lump playing with them tomorrow afternoon.
    Mark