Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Creole Shrimp and Veggies (long and possibly boring)

Options
Bama Fire
Bama Fire Posts: 267
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What a fantastic meal![p]Rushed home from work last night to fire up the EGG. Started the pecan wood chips soaking; chopped up onion and green pepper; and washed a package of whole mushrooms. I covered the veggies in olive oil, salt, pepper and a few shakes of minced garlic. (I prefer fresh, but I didn't have time to mess with it.) Check the fire -- no lit yet. Ran back inside and started peeling the shrimp -- I had about a pound and a half a gorgeous large gulf shrimp. Started water boiling for pasta. Checked the fire. 300 degrees. Removed started. (it's only a matter of time before I burn that thing up.) Put grill in place to burn off the remains of chefRD's wings. Returne to peel remaining shrimp. Added pasta to now boiling water. Washed and dried peeled shrimp. (I am the one-legged man in the ___ kicking content at this point.) Poured veggies into a "wok-with-holes" and headed for the EGG with the pecan chips. Cleaned the grill, dumped the chips, and threw on the wok. Much smoke. temporarily blind. Nice.[p]Stumbled back inside to pasta boiling over. Lovely. Turned down heat and stirred. The mess will wait for me to clean it later. Dusted the shirmp with Zatarain's Creole seasoning. I've never tried this stuff before, but didn't feel like messing with individuals seasons. Added some minced garlic and olive oil. Stirred. [p]Back outside to stir the veggies. back inside to stir the pasta. Breathe. Open, drink, drink, drink, and deposit empty bottle in trash. Drain pasta. Added home-made alfredo sauce(I wish -- actually was craft mac & cheese). Stir.[p]Take shrimp to EGG. The veggies are about done. I figured that the shrimp would only need a few minutes on the EGG. throw in shrimp and stir. Avoided the smoke this time!! :-D[p]Back inside to stir the pasta. Open and finish another beer. Starting to relax now. Whew.[p]Back out to stir the shrimp -- they're about done. Back in. Cover pasta and remove from heat. Back out -- the shrmip are done. Bring the wok in and serve.[p]WOW!!! The shrimp are the best I've ever tasted! ( I grew up on the Gulf coast so I've eaten MANY MANY shrimp!)[p]Total time elapsed from starting the EGG to eating: 40 minutes. Not bad! the mushrooms weren't good adn I'm not sure why. I'll give them another try. The onions and peppers were fantastic.[p]Happy EGGing![p]B~F

Comments

• Seattle Todd
    Options
    Bama Fire,[p]Love the story! Sounds exactly like me last night with very little variation. Substitute a cheap Italian red wine for the beer and we coulda 'bout been twins. I did two batches of shrimp (one sauteed and the other broiled in the oven) while doing two 1lb ribeyes on the Egg. I was actually stupid enough to also try and make a homemade parmesan pesto sauce and pasta from some homemade pesto that I'd ruined the night before by adding too much garlic (yes it's possible!). I was too lazy to run to the store for more fresh basil and I noticed the heavy cream I had in the fridge and thought what the Hell. Probably have too much to eat as it is with the steaks and a pound of shrimp.[p]Despite my best efforts of doing everything wrong everything came out wonderfully! Gotta love it when luck goes your way![p]Tonight I'm trying a first for me. Brined chicken on Humpty. Now tonight I can swill some brew. I've found that I can't drink beer if I'm eatin' steaks cause though it tastes great it's more filling.

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Bama Fire,
    I am still laughing. I thought that I was the only one who cooked like you described. By the way, I decided to stop apologizing about long posts and just accepted the fact that most of mine are long.[p]I used to use Zatarain's Creole seasoning all of the time. However, it is pretty heavy on the salt. It is still tasty on Popcorn. Try Chef Barcay’s Chelsea Blend. It is a very good Cajun spice mix that does not have any salt in it. That way, you can adjust the salt to you liking with out compromising the flavor of the spice blend.[p]One other thing to try is to not peel the shrimp and skewer them. Then hit them for about a minute per side at high temperature.[p]Have Fun,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Bama Fire
    Options
    Seattle Todd,
    Good luck with the brined chicken -- I'm thinking of trying it for a newly formed supper club on saturday night. Keep us posted![p]B~F

• Bama Fire
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    That's not a bad idea on the skewers. Generally, though, if I'm gonna have to peel and eat, I prefer to be sitting out on a wharf on Mobile Bay with a case of ice cold bud and some crabs in the water with the shrimp. Summer's almost here....[p]B~F

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Bama Fire,[p]SOUNDS GREAT! You're invited to my house any time ... drikes will be cold and plentiful![p]Smokey

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    Bama Fire,
    You are a little closer to Real Fresh shrimp than I am.[p]My theory on leaving the shells on for the high temp grilling is to offer a little protection from over charring the shrimp and trying to retain some moisture. I do not know if it really helps, but it works for me.[p]RhumAndJerk[p]

• Bama Fire
    Options
    Smokey,
    I'll call before I show up![p]B~F

• Bama Fire
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But, try new things to broaden your horizons. Hmmm.[p]B~F

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    Bama Fire, well I read it all, read the replys, and I gotta say,, way-to-go. When it comes to juggling chain-saws, I'd say you rank right up there. Zatarains, as you used it is a good seasoning, and I agree with RhumAndJerk about the saltiness too. You need to get your hands on Prudhommes Seafood Magic, and Brucie's Blend Zydeco Seasoning. This stuff is great. Prudhommes is 4% sodium, and Brucie's Blend is 8%. Grilling shrimp in the style you used opens up many possibilities for seasoning. A good dry crab or crawfish seasoning works wonders when lightly sprinkled over them. When you get a chance, try the connecuh sausage, onions, and bell peppers with the grilled shrimp in the hole-y wok. You did devain them crustatians didn't you? I have only just started doing this and it really makes a difference in the cooking, both grilled or fried, plus it removes the sometimes sandy or gritty part. I got a million ways to do shrimp. Probably besides my new invention "Lady Godivas", black-peppered shrimp is my favorite. PRINT THIS AND PUT IT IN YOUR RECIPE BOOK. De-head and wash the shrimp very well. You want to make sure there's no sand amongst their tiny little feet. Drain them well. Layer them in a shallow baking pan and place 2 sticks of real butter on top of them (sliced in small pats). Then start applying the black pepper. Pepper them until you are certain they are way over peppered. Then add that much more. Trust me on this. They should nearly be obscured by the black pepper. Bake them in a preheated 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes. Remove the pan, turn the shrimp over, and bake them an additional 10 minutes. When they come out, grab them by the tail, insert them in your mouth, and suck the butter/pepper sauce from them. It won't be pepper hot, but probably the best thing your mouth ever experienced. After you suck the sauce off the shrimp,, peel it and eat it. MAN! You would think the pepper would be overpowering,, but not so. If you are sceptical, try a small batch. If I'm lie-n, I'm die-n..

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    King-O-Coals,
    Yum. Sound great.
    RhumAndJerk

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    Bama Fire,[p] I enjoyed the story, had to stop halfway through it for
    a rest. Got tired thinking of all your running around you
    had to do( Hee Hee )

Earl

• Bama Fire
    Options
    King-O-Coals,
    Sounds good to me. I'll give it a try -- I'll be heading down that way -- P'cola / Navarre hopefully in the next month. Have you ever been to Joe Patti's Seafood wholesale in P'cola? IT'S AMAZING!! You can buy a pound of jumbo lump crabmeat for around 13 dollars -- at least you could last year. great shrimp, but my favorite it the red ahi tuna. The have MASSive cuts of tuna -- you tell them how thick you want it, and the slice it for you. Take your cooler with you -- they'll bad everything then ice it down for you.[p]Bama Fire