Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat loaf!

Smokin' Blues
Smokin' Blues Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I tried Dr.BBQ's Lisa Marie meatloaf today, and it was out of this world! It was really simple and quick. I never would of thought to try meat loaf on the BGE. The flavor was incredible, used cherry and hickory for the smoke. I would suggest if you haven't tried it yet go for it, you won't have any regrets.

Comments

• We make the frequently. Put them on a disposeable grid ($0.89 @ WM) over a drip pan and almost all the grease drips out. Making it so I can say they are a bit more healthy than in a loaf pan.
  • Smokin' Blues wrote:
    I tried Dr.BBQ's Lisa Marie meatloaf today, and it was out of this world! It was really simple and quick. I never would of thought to try meat loaf on the BGE. The flavor was incredible, used cherry and hickory for the smoke. I would suggest if you haven't tried it yet go for it, you won't have any regrets.

can you please share the recipe and set up.

THANKS!
  • Sorry but since they are in a published book. He prefers you buy a copy to get his recipes. They are also great reads, you won't regret it.
  • No need to say sorry, I'm always looking for good cook books.
  • Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Good find, meat loaf on the Egg is wonderful!
    MeatLoafsmall.jpg

I mix ground turkey, pork, and veal with sauteed chopped spinach or kale, onions, and carrots,a good shake of DP Shakin' the Tree, and a good pasta sauce (I use Muir Glen Organic), and glaze with some of the sauce pureed with some honey

Loaf-1.jpg

Even without traditional binders, it holds together well, tastes great, and oh, the sandwiches from leftovers:)

MeatLoafSand.jpg
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    The recipe is in his Big Time Barbeque Cookbook. I haven't made meatloaf in the egg yet. Ahh there are many new roads to travel.
  • That looks really tasty!
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    RastaEgg,
    I have bought all three of "Dr. BBQ's" books... I have some other books by differnt well known Enthusiasts. One in particular features umm Weber's they are good and have some good pictures. However, Dr. BBQ doesn't care if you cook in a dirt pit or in a home made drum grill... his passion is evident. My other books are collecting dust. Dr. BBQ has great stories and more importantly helps you make great food. I am envious of the watch he wears too!!! :whistle:
    You will have to read his biography for that one. :laugh:
    ~Pharmeggist
  • Thanks for the advice, I just ordered one tonight.
    My wife has been bugging me to egg some meatloaf :)
  • Pharmeggist
    Which book did you purchase first? Just curious?
  • Dr. BBQ's Big Time Cookbook.
  • Pharmeggist
    Egg-cellent choice B)
    If you like that one alot Road Trip is really cool with more stories and of course great food from all over the country.
    ~Pharmeggist
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Here is one I like.

Meatloaf, Richard

I do them on the small indirect at 325-350F about an hour pulled around 150F.

Meatloaves
    2 Lbs. Ground Chuck
    2 Lbs. Ground Round
    3 Whole Eggs
    1 Large Vidalia Onion, Chopped Medium
    10-15 Saltine Crackers, Crushed
    1/2-3/4 Cup Spicy Ketchup
    1/2-3/4 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
    2-3 Tbs. Dijon Mustard
    1-2 Cups Pepper Ridge Farms Herbed Seasoning Stuffing
    1-1 1/2 Pkg. Lipton Onion Soup Mix
    Coarse Peppermill Black Pepper, to taste
    3-4 Strips Bacon, Optional
    Sauce, 1 Meatloaf
    1 Cup Spicy Ketchup
    1/4 Cup Dijon Mustard
    1/2-3/4 Cup Brown Sugar, Packed
    2-3 Tbs. Balsamic Vinegar
    1 Cup Parmesan Cheese, Grated
    Ground Pepper to taste

Procedure:
    1 The meat recipe makes 2 nice 10 inch diameter loaves and they are about 1 1/2 - 2 inches thick. The sauce is for one meatloaf. The meat recipe may be halved or the other loaf frozen, which is what I do.
    2 When mixing the meat and other ingredients, mix about 1/3 saltine crackers and 2/3 Pepper Ridge stuffing, do in 1/4 -1/2 cup portions so as not to dry out the mixture.
    3 If using the bacon, lay on top of loaf and then cover with the sauce at the beginning of the cook. I cook over a rack that has a grease catch pan underneath and there by avoid having to deal with removing the grease from a normal loaf pan.
    4 You want the sauce to be thick. if necessary thin with water or more vinegar. Slather all over! Nice to have a little sauce left over, to serve with. Play with the ratios of ketchup and mustard until you reach a point that makes you happy. Enjoy!!

Yield: 2-2 Pound Loaves

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard, 09/05/06
  • Richard got any pictures of meat loaf, Sounds great.
  • I do meatloaf frequently on the egg and it is fabulous. As stated further down use a extruded alum pizza screen from Wally world over a drip pan and it works fine. I throw white and sweet taters or corn on at the same time at about 400 and everything comes out done at the same time.

DSC_9447.jpg
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    that looks great!!!!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Meat loaf has to be one of best meals I do on the BGE ;)

Marc