Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE in Seattle

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Y'All,[p]Can someone recommend a good place to pick up one of these things in the Seattle Area? How much should I pay for a Large? [p]Also, are these things really that easy to start??? [p]Looking forward to some tasty Q this spring.[p]Thanks much[p]SurfDog

Comments

• Surfdog,
    As far as starting, sure, it's easy! You have many options. Some folks like the electric starters. Some use propane torches. I use Weber starter cubes. For a big time steak searing hot fire, I place the cube under the grate through the bottom vent and light it. For a slower smaller fire, I put one on top of the lump (sort of nestle down in a bit) and light it there. I don't like using newspaper, too much ash and sometimes it takes some fiddling. [p]TNW

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    TNW,
    I find that when I put a starter cube under the grate it seems to take a long time to get to searing temps.[p]I am also the guy that puts a cube on top of the coals and leaves the dome up until the cube goes out. Different strokes for different folks. Whatever works.
    Happy Egg-n,
    New Bob

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Surfdog,
    I agree with TNW...they are just that easy to start. I personally use an electric starter. Tried the starter cubes when I burned thru the first starter and of the two, I prefer the electric option. Having multiple options for starting is good. Should electricity go out, I can still eat!
    No can help on pricing of a large in the Seattle area since one factor will be the shipping charges.
    Also, unless you physically can't get outdoors during the winter to cook, there is no reason to moth-ball the egg during the winter. You can cook year round with the same excellent results.

• Sippi
    Sippi Posts: 83
    New Bob,
    Bob, if you want searing temps really quickly, try placing a hairdryer on low speed outside the bottom vent for a few minutes. You can raise the temp very quickly. I shave a small piece off a three lb. fireplace log for a starter.

• Surfdog,[p]Try "Sutter Hearth and Home" over on Ballard in Seattle, or if you're on the eastside they have a shop in Hollywood. Check the link below.[p]I got mine from a place in Redmond, that unfortunately has gone out of business to make way for some horrid condos.[p]I have seen some places on the net selling them with reasonable enough shipping as to make it worth while.[p]And yes, lighting and then controling your fire is a breeze! I have some *friends* with large gas grills and they usualy have to allow more time for their metal to heat up than I do for my egg![p]I easily reach roasting temps in 10-15 minutes, and steak searing afterburner in less than 20-25 if thats what I'm shooting for.[p]I tend to go with an electric starter. I've tried the chimney with paper, cubes and electric. All in all, the speed and cleanliness of the electric is my choice.[p]Have fun!
    bc
    Sammamish, WA[p]

[ul][li]Sutter[/ul]
  • Surfdog,
    Take a leisurely, beautiful drive down to Portland and save yourself 8.6%. They also might give you another 15% off on the BGE depending on the time of year. I'd call them first and make the deal over the phone. They know you wouldn't go that far without a deal.[p]Hot Spot Fireplace Shop
    11525 SW Canyon Rd.
    Beaverton, OR 97005
    626-4652.[p]To make the trip even more worthwhile stop at Costco in Oregon also. [p]There isn't any sales tax in OR. I'm certainly not suggesting that you break any laws, but if you just happen to be there on a drive, you might see something that you like.[p]

• Surfdog,
    If you happen to be down south Capital Fireplace supply has Med & larges in stock. Last I saw i think they were around 750 for a large and 650 for a medium. While you are down here let me know and come on over. I will show you what my Med can do
    Kirk

• Kirk,[p]Thanx for the info and the invite. I'm actually heading down to Portland for a trade show tomorrow and coming back up on Friday. Do you like beer? (My girlfriend works at Pyramid Brews!) [p]I'm getting one of these things as soon as I can save up some dough.[p]'Q on!
  • To all,[p]Thanks for all the input. I made some calls and it seems the prices are about the same where ever you go so the only advantage would be to pick one up in Portland which I'm heading to tomorrow.[p]Happy Eggin'

• Surfdog,
    Friday sounds great to me. I will be home at 6:30. You bring the beer and i will supply the meat. Let me know what you like. Pork tenderloin? Chicken? pulled pork?
    Let me know
    Kirk

• Surfdog,
    Or some nice spare ribs?

• Surfdog,
    You still out there? Let me know whats up.
    Kirk

• Kirk,[p]Sorry for the delay man. I am down in Portland now and haven't been able to check this board until now (11:30 Thurs night). I'm not sure if we'll be able to make it or not....our trade show is over at 3pm tomorrow (friday) and then we have to break down the booth then we are out of there - (I am with my buddy Karl). I figure we can be heading out of Portland by 4-4:30.[p]Where are you at anyway. There is still the possibility we could make it. Are you in the Portland area or more towards Seattle. Would still really like to check out the egg factor and see what it can do. I've been telling Karl about it too and he is interested as well. I am driving anyway so he has no choice... but if there's beer involved he is always game.[p]Well, I'll be at the show tomorrow until 3 pm then? So if you get this some time before then try to call us on this guys cell phone - Nick 206-369-6320 and just ask for me - and we can figure out some plans. Or you could also call my home number and leave your number if his phone doesn't work for some reason. My home number is 253-946-5011. I'll check my messages tomorrow morning about 10am or so if I don't hear from you before. Hope to hook up with you and your egg but if it doesn't work out then we'll have to plan it for another time for sure.[p]Thanx again for the invite and hope to hear from you tomorrow,[p]Surfdog