Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SWEET TATOR HELP

disabledDK
disabledDK Posts: 64
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi everyone! I'm getting ready to put some sweet tators on the egg. What temp/how long/in foil or not? Any help please! Chicken breast's going on after and/or during.[p]Thanks, DK

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    S10_13_9920_01_00.jpg
    <p />DK, love sweet potatoes - I usually make them with ribs - 250 degrees for 3.5 hours or about 300 degrees for 3.5 hours - I do in foil with a pad of butter - great!

• Gfw
    Sorry - 300 degrees for 2.5 hours!
  • Gfw, Thanks for the info, I was kinda thinking about 2.5 to 3 hours. I also love sweet tators, they go great with everything.[p]Thanks, DK

• Gfw, Got it![p]Thanks, DK

• Gfw
    DK, just don't tell Dr. Chicken. Any one know the where abouts of Dr. C. lately?

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    DK, I too made several requests for sweettaters, and finally went on my own adventure. The first ones I did I washed and wrapped in foil. Did em with Turkey or Prime rib at the same time. They were done, but a disaster for flavor. Bland.[p]The next ones I did as Gfw suggested, but I peeled em and then buttered and wrapped. 300F is fine, same as a baked potato, in fact you can do both at the same time. In addition to the butter, sprinkle liberally with dark or brown sugar while laying on the foil. then wrap em up tightly and on the grill.. These were great.
    The third try with em ..I halved the sweet taters and then buttered and brown sugared em..Dang but I became a sweet potato lover. These were super good. I think you can whole/half, or quarter em in cubes for equal delights. Experiment..its fun.[p]BTW if Gfw reads this I made a post down the line regarding Dr. Chicken. He was in the hospital in Kansas City dreadfully ill with Bacterial Menengitis, and they nealy lost him.. I sent a card.
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    s_cook13.jpg
    <p />DK,[p]Here is a picture of a rack of spare ribs and two sweet potatoes done at 220 for 3 hr. I add a pat of butter then wrap in foil. When I serve them I cut the side, add more butter and brown sugar. The trick is to cook for atleast 2.5 hr and cooking too long does not seem to be much of a problem as long as they are in foil. I tried them without foil and it makes them wayyy to smoky for me. Others like it though.[p]Tim
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Tim M,[p]Very nice pic! You should be careful posting pictures like that, though. I may have to sue you to pay for the damage done to my keyboard from all the drooling I did over those ribs and taters!