Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Where can I buy a thermapen and why is it a must have item and why so expensive?

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Jim fr alabama,
    i got mine from King Aurther.
    but others have gotten one from Mollyshark she posts on this board. or rather over at Biggreen.net. there is a link up at the top of the main forum page just click on it. there will proabably be more responses over there and i don't want you to miss it[p]but i have a thermopen and my chicken doubled in taste because i no longer just guessed when it was done![p]
    happy eggin

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Jim,

I felt the same way when I got on the forum. I bought 4 other 'instant reads' but none really were.

So I 'bit the bullet' an picked one up.

Huge difference, yes it is very expensive but dang it it works and keeps working. 3 to 4 seconds. Obviously if you are doing something that is very hot the quicker read the better.

If you are doing 4 chickens or several pork butts reading all those temps take time and you want the reads to be accurate and fast.

I paid full price from Thermoworks, but I think I would get one from someone here on the forum. Freds Guitar and BBQ has a pretty good price.

Make sure you get the actual Thermoworks Thermapen instant read with the thin probe. There are look-a-like thermopens out there. Don't fall in that trap.

Several have picked up a referbished from Thermoworks for about $45.00.

Kent
  • I got a refurb direct from Thermoworks. Just call and ask if they have any. I think it was $53 with shipping. I even got red, which everyone knows is the fastest.

Meat
  • BENTE,
    FYI - biggreen.net is something different.

[ul][li]new site[/ul]
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I think it is the single most important tool I have beside the Eggs. -RP
  • i went to an eggfest to check out bge. and watcher Mr. Earl at work. He recommended my first puchase after the egg be a thermopen. i took his advice, i do not regret it, and egg or not after two years i cannot imagine being a serious cook with out one. nothing tastes better than meat, cooked right, on the egg. if you want to cook it right by a thermopen.
    bill
  • Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 357
    Amazon.com is a place to check. They also have sales on. They also have a 7qt Lodge dutch oven for $40.
  • Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 357
    Amazon.com is a place to check. They also have sales on. They also have a 7qt Lodge dutch oven for $40.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Expecting mine from MollyShark any day now. have several wired & wireless but from what I've heard here I had to get 1.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Meatatarian wrote:
    I got a refurb direct from Thermoworks. Just call and ask if they have any. I think it was $53 with shipping. I even got red, which everyone knows is the fastest.

Meat

hah....yeah but black is the best lookin B) ...hard to keep clean though :woohoo: