Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Today's Long Cook, Creole butter injection

mojopin
mojopin Posts: 200
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It turned out really well, even if it took 12 hours! I felt like the pork shoulder was at 150º for an eternity. At least 5-6 hours. I even bumped the dome temp up to 300º to try and get a move on it. At our 9 I was running out of lump and didn't feel like refilling so I wrapped in foil and put it in a 325º oven for the rest of the cook. Rested in towels for a couple ours and then pulled and sliced for tomorrow.

I decided to try out the Creole Butter Recipe Cajun Injector. It was on sale at Sheets N' Stuff so I had nothing to lose. Not to mention the pork was on sale for $.69/lb this week!

I would definitely use this injector again. I mixed it with about 1/2 cup apple cider and coated the outside with the cajun spice packet that came with the injection and also DP Raging River and Butt Rub.

Here's some pics:

creole-injected-pork.jpg

creole-injected-pork2.jpg

creole-injected-pork3.jpg

Comments

• Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Good job on the roast. How did the cajun butter fare with the pork? I tried it with a rib roast, and it surely did not taste like it belonged in there at all. $0.69/lb is a steal, too!
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    I've injected ribs with the Creole Butter and my family went ape over them. I can imagine how good it must be in a butt.
  • Never thought about the Creole butter in pork. I always use it to inject our deep fried turkeys. I know it really makes for some tasty turkey. I'll have to give that a try. ;)
  • mojopin
    Turned out incredibly tasty. It doesn't taste like my normal smoked butt, has more of a.... I guess I'd describe it as a buttery flavor... it was after all the creole butter. We really enjoyed it, just had some with my eggs for breakfast since it wasn't ready for dinner!

:)
  • mojopin
    Mmm... that sounds good, injected between the ribs? Sounds like a PITA, but if it's worth it then I'd try it! I picked up 4 boxes of the injection while it was on sale. I figured even if it wasn't that good I have some inexpensive extra injectors!

I'll have to give it a try, thanks!

-Jill
  • mojopin
    I'll have to try it in poultry next. It turned out a lot better than I had originally thought it would. I'm very impressed with it. Plus there doesn't seem to be anything bad for you in the injection... they are kind of vague with the ingredients though! :S

-Jill
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Yep, about 1/4 oz between each rib. I was skeptical, but I'm a convert now, and it doesn't take all that much time, really.