Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

!!!! ATTENTION !!!! XL owners.....

Mike in Abita
Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have made a very costly mistake with my XL and would like to share my experience with you. Hopefully you won't make the same mistake I did.

First set-up.... I placed my platesetter on top of the firebox and cooked some no knead bread. Once it was finished I removed the plate setter to sear some pork loins. I reloaded with lump to the top of fire box and installed my CI half grate for the sear. Thinking I could get a good sear bieng closer to the lump I did not install fire ring. Placed CI on top of fire box and wouldn't you know it it expanded. It expanded so much that it CRACKED the base. I could not remove it. It had wedged itself in so tight even wearing "Orkas" I could not budge it. I immediately closed the lid put on ceramic top and closed lower vent. I then went and got a "Wonder Bar". Carpenters should be familiar with the term. It is a flat bar used for prying and removing nails. I used it to pry the CI grate out of the XL only after the damage was done and temps were down to 300. My XL now has a crack in the base from the gasket to the lower vent. I don't think it will present much of a problem ( the band is holding it together) and I will replace it soon. Feel free to save the pictures and zoom in as much as necessary to see the crack.

Just remember to check the clearence of any metal item you put in the egg. It will expand.

Hopefully you won't learn the hard way like I did..... If you wan't to use the CI put it on top of the firering where it has more room to expand.

Crack001.jpg

Crack002.jpg

Comments